cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is OER/PfR common in production networks?

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Hello folks,

I am doing some lab exercises on "OER/PfR" (Performance Routing) and I am just wondering whether this technology is really practical in production? At least in the last 3 environments I worked I have never seen such technology implemented...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can't really comment whether it's "common", suspect not for serveral reasons, a couple being having both the equipment and environment that might benefit from it.

As to "practical", I've have and am using in a large production environment (multihomed Internet and multi MPLS CEs) and have found it has a few "gotchas", doesn't work exactly the way I want, and might have a problem with link flap knocking it down (at least on ATM interfaces). So there is some "pain" using it, yet I believe the benefit outweighs such pain. However, at least where I've been using it, my view is the minority viewpoint, i.e. the majority believes the effort isn't worth the pain.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can't really comment whether it's "common", suspect not for serveral reasons, a couple being having both the equipment and environment that might benefit from it.

As to "practical", I've have and am using in a large production environment (multihomed Internet and multi MPLS CEs) and have found it has a few "gotchas", doesn't work exactly the way I want, and might have a problem with link flap knocking it down (at least on ATM interfaces). So there is some "pain" using it, yet I believe the benefit outweighs such pain. However, at least where I've been using it, my view is the minority viewpoint, i.e. the majority believes the effort isn't worth the pain.

Hi Joseph

can you please post a working config of your OER/PFR

MC and BR routers

as i am trying to practice it for study but id didnt work with me based on cisco documentations

thank you

On MPLS CE WAN routers:

conf t

!on BCs

key chain key1

key 1

key-string somekey

oer border

local Loopback0

master x.x.x.x key-chain key1

end

conf t

!on BC/MC

oer master

logging

!

border x.x.x.x key-chain key1

interface GigabitEthernet0/0 internal

interface Multilink123 external

!

border y.y.y.y key-chain key1

interface GigabitEthernet0/0 internal

interface ATM0/IMA0.1 external

!

learn

throughput

delay

aggregation-type bgp

periodic-interval 0

monitor-period 1

mode route control

mode select-exit best

periodic 180

end

conf t

!on Internet BC/MC - statics, not BGP

oer master

!

border x.x.x.x key-chain key1

interface Serial1/0 external

interface GigabitEthernet0/1 internal

!

border y.y.y.y key-chain key1

interface GigabitEthernet0/1 internal

interface Serial1/0 external

!

learn

throughput

delay

periodic-interval 0

monitor-period 1

no max range receive

mode route control

mode monitor passive

mode select-exit best

periodic 180

end

thank you for posting the config

i have the bellow config but it dosnt work

i mean the MC not learing any prefix !!

MC

oer master

policy-rules oermap

!

border 10.1.1.2 key-chain OER

interface FastEthernet1/1 external

interface FastEthernet1/0 internal

!

border 1.1.1.1 key-chain OER

interface FastEthernet1/0 internal

interface FastEthernet1/1 external

!

learn

throughput

delay

periodic-interval 0

monitor-period 1

traffic-class keys protocol dscp sport

no max range receive

delay relative 10

oer-map oermap 20

set mode select-exit best

set mode route

set mode monitor both

!

MC#show oer master border

Border Status UP/DOWN AuthFail Version

1.1.1.1 ACTIVE UP 00:10:04 0 2.1

10.1.1.2 ACTIVE UP 00:16:33 0 2.1

MC#show oer master prefix learned

MC#show oer master learn list

MC#

BR

oer border

local Loopback0

master 10.1.1.10 key-chain OER

and the other BR same idea

i am running lab topology

where each BR connected to diffrent ISP router through BGP

BRs in the same AS ISP router each in diffrent AS

internally with the MC i run ospf and originating default route also i ma recieving default from the two ISP routers ( this is about routing )

any idea !!

thank you

With the understanding I'm not an expert with OER/PfR, especially with the newer PfR variant (which you appear to be testing), 3 items to consider.

First, is there traffic flowing through the routers and have you waited enough time for PfR to show it's learned info?

Second, it appears you have an OERMAP defined, but you didn't post it. You might try PfR without it and see what happens.

Lastly, I'm unfamilar with "traffic-class keys protocol dscp sport", here too you might try PfR without it to see what happens.

In other words, try the most basic PfR config first. Once you see it working, then you start to "layer" on some of its other features.

PS:

BTW, I vaguely recall having some issue with using a BGP default route to "trigger" PfR. I recall documentation notes such should work, but I too may have had an issue getting it to work. The first sample config I provided obtains BGP routes from external eBGP peers and works find. The second sample config was for Internet eBGP peering where I didn't want to take full routes and only wanted the BGP default. That config works, but had to have PfR generate its routes using statics rather than BGP. I may have needed to insert a configured default static route in addition to the BGP default. Again, I'm hazy on what problem I had with the Internet config. Do recall I had to do something to get it to work. (BTW, with the Internet connection, although full Internet routes were available, and routers were powerful enough to utilize them, with just defaults and working PfR, believed it would be a "better" implementation. As far as I can tell, it works very well.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card