Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection 7.1.3 MWI message counts

phwang123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Fresh install from 7.1.2 Unity connection DVD. Then upgraded to Unity connection 7.1.3 by downloading from CCO.

7.1.3 Unity connection release notes mention that MWI is able to send message counts to IP phones when integrated with CUCM (7.1.3) using SCCP.

I have the above setup and under user -> edit -> Message Waiting Indicator. There are no options to check a box "Send message count".

However, there is an option to send message counts under the system phone integration and I have checked that box. But the phone (7970) only displays "You have Voicemail".

Thanks

7 Replies 7

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Paul,

Sadly the "Message Counts" feature is done via an Announcement (Voice) when checking messages. There is no visual "count" shown on the phone display;

Message Counts

You can specify the types of messages for which Cisco Unity Connection "announces" count totals when users check messages by phone.

As applicable, do the procedures in this section for user accounts, or for a template that you can use to create user accounts. Users can also use the Cisco Unity Assistant to specify the message counts that they want to hear.

•To Specify Which Message Counts Cisco Unity Connection Plays for an Individual User or Template

•To Specify Which Message Counts Cisco Unity Connection Plays for Multiple User Accounts at Once

To Specify Which Message Counts Cisco Unity Connection Plays for an Individual User or Template

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 In Cisco Unity Connection Administration, find the user account or template that you want to edit.

Step 2 On the Edit Menu, click Playback Message Settings.

Step 3 On the Playback Message Settings page, under For New Messages Play, check or uncheck any or all of the following check boxes to specify which message counts Connection plays before each new message:

Message Count Totals Connection announces the total number of all messages (voice, email, and receipt messages).

Voice Message Counts Connection announces the number of voice messages.

Email Message Counts Connection announces the number of email messages.

Fax Message Counts Connection announces the number of fax messages.

Receipt Message Counts Connection announces the number of receipts.

Step 4 In the For Saved Messages Play section, check the Saved Message Count check box to have Connection announce the total number of all saved messages (voice, email, and receipt messages).

Step 5 Click Save.

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/user_mac/guide/7xcucmac040.html#wp1277446

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply. But please see these release notes for unity connection 7.1.3

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/release/notes/713cucrn.html#wp460601

This is a new feature.

Yeah, it's a new feature.

So new that for the time being no available phone model supports it.

Also, note that the info you posted is for CUCMBE, standalone CUC will require a SIP trunk for the message count info to be exchanged with CUCM.

I can't find any info on which phones will support it, but probably the feature is going to be for the next generation of IP Phones.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Paul,

Well, you learn something new every day :) +5 points for posting this up as I had not seen this new feature. In the Unity release notes for this Message Count feature it indicates support on "newer" IP Phone models (as Java nicely noted) of which, the 7970 would not be considered "newer". Sadly it does not specify what exactly these models are :( I will find out if I can and post back with the results

It may take awhile.

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob,

I have tested this new feature on 7970, 7960 and 7965 (all not working).

Paul

One thing I have noticed is when this is enabled it increases your MWI Traffic. Looks like any time a new message is left or a message is deleted it sends a MWI message regardless of the current MWI state. Guess that makes sense since it is supposed to be changing counts on the phone.

FYI..this feature works well on the new  8900 and 9900 series phone models.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: