Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Nat translation timeout question

dehghan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

What does the command IP NAT Translation timeout * actually achieve?

Does this command clear any IDLE nat entries in the nat dtable that have been idle for athe period specified by this comman or does it force remove nat entriesthat have been in the table for the specified time.

I am trying to use this command for a load sharing scenario. I am thinking of using this or any other commands that would help me to clear only idle nat entries in the nat table in the case that one of my links fail.

thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Not much of an issue, when a translation expires, IOS will create a new one as soon user activity resumes. The nature of web makes so that even if different ports of addresses are used, things will still work.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It clears idle translations only.

In load sharing and multiple gateways scenario, it's often useful to reduce the timers. Also, try "oer" in "ip nat" command.

Thanks for the reply,

the thing is I am actually using this system as a pilot system and I am worried that this might cause connections such as online payments, FTP connections and so on disconnecting and resulting in user frustrtion.

I will play with the timers and see what happens

thanks

Not much of an issue, when a translation expires, IOS will create a new one as soon user activity resumes. The nature of web makes so that even if different ports of addresses are used, things will still work.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: