Views
Helpful
Replies

tracking directly connected interface

snarayanaraju
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Experts,

I have a scenario where my core switch 4500 is connected to a remote location using both Optical fiber cable (primary link) and a leased Line (secondary).

Optical Fiber cable is directly connected to remote network (see the attached diagram)

As mentioned I want the OFC to be the primary & Leased line to be the Secondary. The problem is due to ethernet nature, The OFC connected interface is always up and so, the traffic is not routed thru the secondary interface 192.168.1.5 even when OFC is cut.

I Thought of configuring IP SLA monitoring so that to probe the management IP address of 2960 switch. But since the network 193.168.100.0 is directly connected, I donot know how where to configure the track command. I am only aware that the track command can be configured either in "ip route command" or under interaface using "standby" command.

Hope My diagram and explaination is clear to provide the solution. Please help

Thanks in advance

sairam

5 Replies 5

ohassairi
Level 5
Level 5

you are using the switch 2960 as L2 device so you can forget it.

now you will monitor the 192.168.100.5.

you can find an example in http://hassairi.50megs.com/#reliabler.

but why you don't use dynamic routing. i think it is more easy

Hi,

The link you refered is very useful. Thanks for sharing. I cannot use Dynamic routing protocols immediately.

I an all the documents I am seeing "track" command is applied in the routing or interface..

But what about directly connected interface routes like in my case. Whether "ip sla monitoring" can be used?

Thanks

Sairam

Hi team,

A thought to share with you. If I configure 2960 switch as a responder, will we be able to achieve this. I will configure VLAN 1 (MANAGEMENT) interface of 2960.

Will that work? Your opinion is appreciatable.

sairam

The IP SLAs responder can be a Cisco IOS Layer 2, responder-configurable switch, such as a Catalyst 2960 or Cisco ME 2400 switch, or a Catalyst 3560 or 3750 switch running the IP base image. The responder does not need to support full IP SLAs functionality.

see this http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_46_se/configuration/guide/swipsla.html

Hi,

Its very true. I too refered this doc and found this info. But how it is useful to change the Routing decisions

sairam

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card