Views
Helpful
Replies

IP@ to port number with LMS

o.elmohri
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Please can some helps me using LMS to find to whith switch port number a computer is connected when I have only its IP address?

I'm using tracking but it's not working and every thing else is well done.

Regards,

Omar

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

User Tracking can do this provided the routers (or layer 3 devices) which have the ARP entry for your end hosts have been successfully Data Collected by Campus Manager. If you are not seeing IP addresses in UT, then this has not been done (or your layer 3 devices are not supported by Campus). In that case, you would need to make sure the routing devices are managed by Campus Manager, then run a new UT acquisition.

If, however, the routing devices are firewalls (e.g. PIX, ASA, FWSM), then Campus will not be able to read ARP entries from them, and you will not get any layer 3 data in UT.

Thank you Clarke, but I want to tell you that I'm using a CAT3560 and are registred with Campus Manager.

Unless the Cat3560 is routing (i.e. has "ip routing" configured), then UT will not use it to collect ARP entries. You will need some other layer 3 device in Campus Manager which can provide the ARP data.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: