Views
Helpful
Replies

AP1121 LWAP conversion problem

gcdudley
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm having a problem converting this AP to LWAP. I've used the WCS and the standalone tool. Both report successful upgrades. However, upon reload, the AP enters a reboot loop. From there, I'm only able to reload an autonomous image and try again.

Model:AIR-AP1121G-A-K9

IOS: 12.3(7)JA5 also tried 12.3(8)JED

Recovery image:c100-rcvk9w8-tar.123-11JX1

Upgrade tool: v 3.4

WLC Software version: 5.2.193

Thanks for any suggestions,

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Could you rate this as an issue solved so that people will find it when they search the same problem you had. Thanks.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sounds like the AP can't "join" the controller so this is why it's rebooting.

Can the AP has a valid IP address and can ping the WLC Management IP address?

Console into the AP and in enable mode, enter the command "lwap ap controller ip address ".

I only have IP connectivity to the AP for about 20 seconds in between reboots. I'm just basing this time frame on ping replies received from a continuous ping. The AP does not have a console interface.

I had found the ap-manager IP address in the env-vars file in flash but was not sure how it got there.

It got there when the AP joined for the first time to get the IOS. Try the command mentioned in my first post.

As I mentioned, the 1121 does not have a console. I can not enter the command.

The issue appears to be moot because a co-worker resolved the issue by changing an etherchannel load balancing algorithm on our core 6500s. Once he changed it, the AP was able to bind with the WLC. After it was bound, he changed the EC algorithm back to its previous state and the AP continued to work. Strange...

mathias.rufer
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same problem, because I loaded the recovery image manually. But I couldn't access the access point anymore, it failed during DHCP.

The solution was to reload an IOS image as described in the AP1100 manual, troubleshooting section:

Step 1 The PC you intend to use must be configured with a static IP address in the range of 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.30.

Step 2 Make sure that the PC contains the access point image file (such as c1100-k9w7-tar.123-8.JA.tar for an 1100 series access point or c1200-k9w7-tar.123-8.JA.tar for a 1200 series access point) in the TFTP server folder and that the TFTP server is activated. For additional information, refer to the "Obtaining the Access Point Image File" and "Obtaining TFTP Server Software" sections.

Step 3 Rename the access point image file in the TFTP server folder. For example, if the image file is c1100-k9w7-tar.123-8.JA.tar for an 1100 series access point, rename the file to c1100-k9w7-tar.default.

Step 4 Connect the PC to the access point using a Category 5 (CAT5) Ethernet cable.

Step 5 Disconnect power (the power jack for external power or the Ethernet cable for in-line power) from the access point.

Step 6 Press and hold the MODE button while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 7 Hold the MODE button until the status LED turns red (approximately 20 to 30 seconds), and release the MODE button.

Step 8 Wait until the access point reboots as indicated by all LEDs turning green followed by the Status LED blinking green.

Step 9 After the access point reboots, you must reconfigure the access point by using the Web-browser interface or the CLI.

Greetings

Rufer

Bear in mind this is an upgrade to CAPWAP not LWAPP. Downgrade to autonomous and then try to upgrade with the latest upgrade tool image. It appears to be a certificate issue.

It was indeed a certificate issue, all our "older" 1121 don't have a MIC and thus need the conversion tool to generate a SSC (self signed certificate).

Thanks anyway.

Could you rate this as an issue solved so that people will find it when they search the same problem you had. Thanks.

This issue is closed. I stated what the solution was in our case in the 4th response to my original question. Subsequent replies to this thread were someone else's problem and their solution. Their certificate problems were not related to my solution.

Sorry just realized was a different issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card