Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Config for 2-DS3 links

Hi,

I have a location with cisco7206VXR router.i would be terminating 2 ds3 MPLS circuits on this router.what extra lines of configuration i need to do in BGP.like maximum-paths 2, is this command neccesary?what else do i need to add?

thanks

4 Replies 4

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are receiving the same route from both DS3 circuits and you want to CEF load-balance the flows, maximum-paths 2 allows you to insert 2 best routes from BGP into the routing table - the default is 1 best route.

You may also want to avoid this router from becoming a transit router so make sure to advertise routes that are originated on this router.

This URL provides a sample config:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_configuration_example09186a008009456d.shtml

Regards

Edison.

Hi Edison,

i would be learning the same routes on both the links,so i will have to configure max paths2 to have 2 best routes installed in my routing table.thanks.is it the same way for maximum-paths 3,4,5 as well?

i have both links delivered from one service provider.there shouldn't be any chances of my router becoming transit router. right?

is it the same way for maximum-paths 3,4,5 as well?

Yes.

i have both links delivered from one service provider.there shouldn't be any chances of my router becoming transit router. right?

If both links connect to the same BGP AS, then you won't become a transit router. If both links connect to a different BGP AS, there is a potential that you might. ISPs usually protect themselves from this kind of issue but the customer should also implement policies as well..

Regards

Edison.

I got the point.

thanks Edi for valuable reply.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco