Views
Helpful
Replies

Sparse-Dense with Sparse will Work ?

seegomaa
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

I have customer Netwrok Running Sparse-Dense multicast, and we will implement Nexus 7000 ( Which supports Sparse only).

So can we configure Sparse on Nexus to work with The existing Sparse-Dense ?

If Yes, What is configuration shoud be done on the New Switches ?

Thanks,

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Mohamed,

sparse-dense-mode works on a per group basis for all groups that have an RP serving it behaves like sparse-mode.

sh ip pim rp mapping tells you for what groups there are RPs.

you may be interested in the global command

no ip pim dm-fallback

to avoid fallback to dense mode.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe for your reply

My question is: On the Existing PIM Configuration Sparse-dense is there, and on the new Nexus i have Sparse only, How can i make Sparse on Nexus work with the Existing Sparse-Dense ?

Thanks again for your answer

Hello Mohamed,

as I have written in my first post, interaction should be fine for all groups treated as sparse mode.

if all your multicast traffic is in sparse mode.

sparse-dense-mode is used by autoRP to allow propagation of mapping messages on 224.0.1.39 and 224.0.1.40.

if you have user traffic in groups treated as dense mode this can be a problem

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipmulti/configuration/guide/imc_basic_cfg_ps6350_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1058990

You need to verify if sparse-dense mode is used only for autoRP or also for user traffic.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card