Views
Helpful
Replies

Bgp Scanner

vishwancc
Level 3
Level 3

Hi ALL,

Does any one have any idea on the amout of CPU a BGP scanner process will take.

I have Internet router with 3L routes and only 1 neighbor IBGP .

The router is 7513 and it take 60%.

Chao

Vishwa

8 Replies 8

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

depends on router bgp routing table i believe! so a router carrying a large Internet routing table bgp scanner might use more cpu. Once a minute, BGP scanner walks the BGP RIB table and performs important maintenance tasks. These tasks include checking the next-hop referenced in the router's BGP table and verifying that the next-hop devices can be reached. Thus, a large BGP table takes an equivalently large amount of time to be walked and validated.

Hi Francisco,

Thanks for the reply.

I know about what the BGP process will do.I am more intreasted to know how much and will enabling or disabling CEF have any effect on this ?

Chao

Vishwa

CEF and the BGP scanner process? In interaction as far as I know.

Hi Jose,

Why i asked this is since scanner procees check the next hop reachability along with other thing,so i wanted to know how it verifies the next HOP reachabitily,as far as i know it will just check the routing table for that,but jbust wanted to make sure there is no packet sen d using CEF.

Chao

Vishwa

Hello Vishwa,

you cannot disable CEF on a C7600 or GSR you could do it on a C7513 but it not recommended and it wouldn't help.

BGP scanning is the process of verifying the BGP next-hop of each prefix.

You may have a single neighbor but quite a lot of prefixes ( a full internet table is in the order of 300,000 routes nowdays)

There can be some enhancements like BGP next-hop tracking that could provide some cpu resources savings in BGP scanner.

Also consider to use a lower frequency of BGP scanning operation that would spread over time cpu usage

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/iproute/configuration/guide/irp_bgp_adv_features_ps6350_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1056230

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe,

Its funny i have 7513 and CEF is disabled,the reason was when i enable it my process memory is getting chocked due to this CEF,so it is disabled.

The funny part is i have Interrupt using close to 40% of 97% CPU utilization and rest 50% is BGP scan process with no CEF,but after enabling CEF it was Interrup was 35% there was not much difference.

Chao

Vishwa

Hello Vishwa,

I've found a troubleshooting guide for BGP scanner causing high cpu

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a00809d16f0.shtml

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe,

I have already checked this link it only tells that CPU will go high due to scanning but how much there is no information , and i dont know how Cisco is expecting me to run the debug when the CPU is already running high on the core internet router.I have googled a lot but did not find antthing which give any precise vlaue or point in some direction to troubleshoot , moreover i cannot increase the scantime also from 60 sec to see some difference.

Chao

Vishwa

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card