Views
Helpful
Replies

Loopback IP Address

gopi_b4u2003
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can anyone explain why we need create loopback ip address in the router.What is the use of that?

Thanks in advance

Gopinath.l

8 Replies 8

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

thanks friend,

can u explain more with suitable example for better understanding.

jbrenesj
Level 3
Level 3

Loopback interfaces are used for several purposes but just to mention a few:

1. As router IDs to identify a router in a routing protocol process like OSPF. The loopback address is normally used to distinguish between neighbors

2. As the loopback interface can stay up/up even when no physical connection (a cable) is plugged in, you can use it in BGP to identify the peer and to maintain the session up even if one physical connection between routers goes down, assuming there's an alternate path

More generally a loopback is an interface that you can reach without having to connect a network to your device.

You can test pings to a loopback to check your connectivity or routing for example.

Just to be more precise to the previous post: the loopback is NOT always the one used for router id. It depends on the ip addressing you have on the router.

thanks buddy, can u expalin with example if u r free

Thanks in Advance

Gopinath

can i use loopback interface without assign ip address to it??

i want to use it for NAT on stick

can i use loopback interface without assign ip address to it??

i want to use it for NAT on stick

You have also asked this question in a new thread that you started. Starting a new thread is much better than trying to restart a discussion from 4 years ago. I suggest that any further discussion should focus on the new thread and not on this one.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card