Helpful
Replies

2 4510's, One with Dual SUP's, One with Single

Dean-VA
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

Need your input on the following:

I have an existing 4510 with dual sup configuration (active/standby) sso mode. We will be adding another 4510 as a redundant chassis. I am planning on implementing HSRP, and configure it both switches as Active/Standby setup.

My question is regarding the existing switch with the dual SUP's. Should I leave it as such? Make it the active switch. I don't think I need to configure HSRP on the standby SUP, right?

I guess what I am hoping to happen is, if the active SUP fails, the standby SUP takes over on the same switch. If the whole switch fails, the secondary switch takes over.

Is that how it would work? Any other solutions to consider with what I will have in terms of hardware?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Imad

Will the redundant chassis have 2 supervisors as well ?

If not there is an argument to just have one supervisor in each switch as failover can be quicker between chassis than it is between supervisors within the same chassis. Really depends on how fast you need failover to work.

Jon

Job,

No, only the active chassis will have the 2 supervisors. The standby chassis will have just one supervisor. I am not running a routing protocol, just Layer-3 interfaces with static routes. I am assuming if the active supervisor fails in the active chassis, the standby supervisor would take over prior to the standby chassis. Does that make sense?

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Imad,

Since failover in SSO mode is in sub seconds and HSRP failover takes about 2 seconds the second sup should take over before the standby HSRP does.

But I would still get on outage window and test it.

HTH

Reza

Reza,

That is exactly what I am hoping for. Do you think it would be more reliable to just have one supervisor in each chassis?

Imad,

I think with 2 chassis and 1 Sup in each chassis you are good to go. I only use 2 Sups if I do not have chassis redundancy like in the access closets where I have 200 people connected to one chassis.

HTH

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco