cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF Default Route - Redistribute into BGP

trippi
Level 1
Level 1

I am advertising the default route from my firewall into OSPF. I am then redistributing my OSPF into my MPLS private BGP to my branches. Everything is redistributing except for my OSPF default route. I have the redistribute statement as redistribute ospf 100 match external 1 external 2. The OSPF default route is a metric-type 2.

Is there a way to do this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can't redistribute a default into BGP.

Couple of options:

1) Use the network 0.0.0.0 under the BGP process.

Note: 0.0.0.0 must be in the routing table

2) Default-information originate

Same as note as above..

3) Default-Originate on the neighbor. With this approach, you don't need a 0.0.0.0 in the routing table.

Regards

Edison.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can't redistribute a default into BGP.

Couple of options:

1) Use the network 0.0.0.0 under the BGP process.

Note: 0.0.0.0 must be in the routing table

2) Default-information originate

Same as note as above..

3) Default-Originate on the neighbor. With this approach, you don't need a 0.0.0.0 in the routing table.

Regards

Edison.

Right now I have the 0.0.0.0 network statement under the BGP process at my main office.

At my DR site I am also advertising the default route in OSPF with a higher metric. I wanted to be able to failover outbound across the MPLS if one of the gateways went down..At my DR site should I also advertise the 0.0.0.0 in the BGP process. Would I use a route map to make it a lower priority?

If you are bringing 2 defaults into BGP, you will need to use the BGP attributes to prefer one default over the other.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094431.shtml

Regards

Edison

I tried this but no dice, I did a clear soft, but it did't change the weight to 200. Any ideas?

router bgp 65001

network 0.0.0.0 route-map bgpdefaultroute

route-map bgpdefaultroute permit 10

match ip access bgpdefaultroute

set weigth 200

ip access-list extended bgpdefaultroute

permit ip any any

WEIGHT is local to the router and it applies to routes received via BGP from other routers.

I recommend using AS_Prepend outbound on the DR site to the MPLS network.

Thank you.

Prepending worked like a charm.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card