Views
Helpful
Replies

soft clearing bgp session issue

sourabh1000_2
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

In our ISP, we are running MPLS-BGP and ospf as backbone IGP, we have one client, which is running on MPLS-BGP.

Issue is that everyday we need to apply "clear ip bgp vrf ABC 64600 soft" on connected PE..why is so that? and pls provide suggestions ASAP...

thanks and regards,

sourabh

7 Replies 7

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Sourabh,

Actually, it is us who should ask "why do you need to apply that 'clear ip bgp' command daily"? What are you trying to accomplish by that command? What is the problem you are currently solving using this workaround?

You have to provide more information. Up to now, you have only given a command that might or might not be correct and you expect us to understand what is the problem you are trying to solve. We can't do it. That command is not your problem - you have to explain us in detail what is the reason for you to use it, otherwise, we cannot help you further.

Best regards,

Peter

ok, take is easy..Mr,Peter...

pls find below issue,,,

issue is that from directly connected PE where vrf interface has been configured on BGP, i am able to ping but from other that this PE, i was not able to ping CE MPLS IP, after clearing bgp session, i can able to ping CE MPLS IP.

thanks and regards,

sourabh

sourabh,

if i undertsand what you are saying you have BGP enable between CE -> PE and PE interface towards CE is under a VRF.

You cannot ping between CE -> CE until you clearing bgp session between CE and PE?

Can you provide more info. pergaps a network diagram

HELLO Francisco,

pls find attached network diagram for your ref,

From PE-1, i am able to ping CE MPLS Ip and bgp status also showing "established"

but its not pinging from PE-2 (able to ping PE-1 vrf interface ip from PE-2)

after applying "clear ip bgp vrf ABCD 64500 soft" on PE-1 then i can get the ping of CLIENT-A mpls ip from PE-2

this i am doing almost everyday for one particular customer.

thanks and regards,

sourabh

Can you post configs for the CE's and PE's involed! PE-1 - > CLIENT-A should be fine since they are directly connected peers. From PE-2 -> CLIENT-A sounds like within the ISP MPLS cloud!!!

Do you have access to PE's? Is this a lab setup or actual production routers?

hi,

i am facing issue in actual production env.

its a normal config of mpls bpp with use of RRs

at client end, normal bgp configured

thanks and regards,

sourabh

to be honest i will need to look at your configs and look at debugs output as well to help out. I think you are better off getting your MPLS provider involve to troubleshoot your problem.

If the MPLS LSP/Routing is setup properly between PE's and your routing CE->PE is also setup properly i dont understand why you have to always do a soft bgp reset to have reachability between CEs..

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card