Views
Helpful
Replies

How does Pruning works

cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

How does a downstream switch pass on the message to upstream switch that i dont have a particular VLAN , so dont pass any info about that VLAN.

regards

Neo

3 Replies 3

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Neo,

The VTP Pruning is made by switches periodically (every 6 seconds or so) sending the VTP Join messages. Each of these messages contains a bit map in which the bit on i-th position signifies whether the VLAN number "i" is active on that switch. If a switch sends a VTP Join message to its neighbor having the i-th bit in the bit map set to 1, then that VLAN is active. If that bit is set to 0 then the VLAN is inactive and should be pruned. Simple, even naive, but working.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

any URL where i can see the details for VTP Join message.your help will be apperciated

regards

Neo

Hello Neo,

You may want to read this URL for some information regarding the VTP:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094c52.shtml

However, regarding the VTP Join messages, there is no public information about it - at least I could not find any. The info I have posted earlier comes from my own small sniffing and reverse-engineering of the VTP traffic.

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco