Views
Helpful
Replies

Using CM as external directory for CME

regi_firnanda
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

It is mentioned in the CME Admin Guide, that if we want to use CM as External Directory for CME, we need to register the MAC address of the CME IP phones to the CM.

My question is : If the CME users just want to browse the CM directory but doesn't need to be listed in the CM directory, do we still need to register the CME IP phones to the CM ?

Because registering the CME ip phones to the CM means we need more extra licenses right ?

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Regi

6 Replies 6

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Regi,

The phones will not actually register with CUCM in this model so no licenses should be required :)

To enable an external directory resource on supported Cisco Unified IP phones and disable local directory services on those same phones, perform the following steps.

Prerequisites

To use a Cisco Unified Communications Manager directory as an external directory source for Cisco Unified CME phones, the Cisco Unified Communications Manager must be made aware of the phones. You must list the MAC addresses of the Cisco Unified CME phones in the Cisco Unified Communications Manager and reset the phones from the Cisco Unified Communications Manager. It is not necessary for you to assign ephone-dns to the phones or for the phones to register with Cisco Unified Communications Manager.

Restrictions

Provisioning of the directory URL to select an external directory resource disables the Cisco Unified CME local directory service.

SUMMARY STEPS

1. enable

2. configure terminal

3. telephony -service

4. url {directory | service} url ***something like http://172.16.242.240/CCMCIP/xmldirectory.asp for CCM 4.x or

url directories http://x.x.x.x:8080/CiscoWebs/IPPhoneservices/CCMIP/xmldirectory.asp for CUCM 5.x,6.x or 7.x

5. end

From this good CME doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmedirs.html#wp1015876

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply :)

I just want to clarify one last thing. How can I list the the MAC address of the CME phones in the CM.

Is it like adding a new IP phone (through Device > Phones > Add New) ? Because, if the answer is yes, doesn't it mean that it will consume ip phone licenses.

Thanks again.

CME and Callmanager don't share phones. They can however speak with each other using H323 GW configuration on CM and dial-peer configuration on CCME.

It is my understanding that the reason you can't just point a CME Phones to CUCM directory is is becuase the CUCM requires the LOCALE to be specified during the lookup and if an unknown device makes a lookup request it will error out. The workaround has been to add the phone in call manager even though the CME phone is not actually registering to call manager so it will satisfy the requirement of having a LOCALE. Now this workaround has become less attractive since the implementation of DLU's for licensing. So to answer your question above, the answer is yes it will take up a license per phone that wants to use CUCM for it's idle URL. For customers that have needed this functionality and is willing to pay for it I have implemented a 3rd party URL Dirctectory that in my few cases queried AD for the Name/Extension output.

Thanks for the info Shane.

So, this means that I have to buy 2 types of licenses for each CME's IP Phones (for CME and for CM) just to be able to browse the CM directory. Hhmmmm...

Yes, it would appear to be the case for this particular solution/workaround.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: