Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4.0.5 OS upgrade from 2000 to 2003

pratik.rb
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Pros,

We are in process of upgrading the Windows Operating System from 2000 to 2003 on our Unity 4.0.5 due to security requirements.

I understand the process is to backup Unity with DiRT and rebuild the server on 2003 and restore.

I would like to call on to your experiences in dealing with this kind of upgrade and discuss any particular issues to look out for.

Our setup is single VM only Unity server with 2000 subscribers and 11 call handlers.

Regards,

Pratik

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Id do the following:

DIRT backup unity 4.05.

also print out your Unity information dump that has your ESs installed. These will need be reinstalled.

If you have a spare drive, use it.

- Dirt backup, copy all off the server

- Shut down the server

- Pull the primary drive

- insert a new drive

- load the 2003 OS (either windows or Cisco platform disc)

- Load 2003 SP2 (no other updates)

- Load Unity 4.05

- Load ES updates from old system.

- DIRT restore

You should be good to go. Its going to be a long long process if you have 2000 mailboxes. DIRT can take a long time to back this info up and also restore it.

A better way to do this.... especially if you are doing all this work, is to buy a new server. Most likely, you have an old H1 server. So if you reload to 2003, next year, you will have to replace the server because it will EOL.

Purchase new server

Load Unity 7x, Exchange 2003

Use Cobras to export from 4.05

Use Cobras to import to 7.0.

The great thing with this, is that you minimize downtime, **AND** and have a rollback plan, the 4.05 server is still running!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

virverma
Level 4
Level 4

Windows 2003 SP 1 Causes Cisco Unity 4.0(4) and 4.0(5) to Lose Communication with Exchange 2003

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_tech_note09186a00804d2ab0.shtml

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Id do the following:

DIRT backup unity 4.05.

also print out your Unity information dump that has your ESs installed. These will need be reinstalled.

If you have a spare drive, use it.

- Dirt backup, copy all off the server

- Shut down the server

- Pull the primary drive

- insert a new drive

- load the 2003 OS (either windows or Cisco platform disc)

- Load 2003 SP2 (no other updates)

- Load Unity 4.05

- Load ES updates from old system.

- DIRT restore

You should be good to go. Its going to be a long long process if you have 2000 mailboxes. DIRT can take a long time to back this info up and also restore it.

A better way to do this.... especially if you are doing all this work, is to buy a new server. Most likely, you have an old H1 server. So if you reload to 2003, next year, you will have to replace the server because it will EOL.

Purchase new server

Load Unity 7x, Exchange 2003

Use Cobras to export from 4.05

Use Cobras to import to 7.0.

The great thing with this, is that you minimize downtime, **AND** and have a rollback plan, the 4.05 server is still running!

Hi TCatlinins,

I have one server with Unity 4.05 (win2000 and Exchange2000)

and I will upgrade to Unity 5.x in a new server with win2003 and Exchange 2003.

What is the best upgrade method?

I'm thinking doing these:

-Dirt backup Unity 4.05in old server

-Install new server with 2003 and exchange 2003 and unity 4.0.5

-Migrate license of Unity 4.0.5 to new server

-Restore dirt Backup of Unity 4.05

- Upgrade to Unity 5.x

- Install the new license

Do you sugest another method or can i skip some steps that i have mentioned?

Can i do a fresh instalation of Unity 5.x in new server with upgrading license of unity?

Best Regards

MC

Your method is fine. You can also use COBRAS and skip the upgrade part. Just go right to Unity 5.x.

See Cobras:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/General/COBRAS/COBRAS.html

Hi,

Thanks.

My question in going straight to Unity 5.x in new server is that i saw in release notes of unity 5.x thtat:

"Upgrade from Cisco Unity 4.x Requires an Upgrade License

Upgrading to Cisco Unity 5.x requires that you purchase an upgrade license. The upgrade license activates Cisco Unity 4.x licensed features on a Cisco Unity 5.x system"

So i supposed that i have to install Unity 4.x first.

Best Regards

MC