Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509-E VSS details -- urgent help required

dear all,

Ive a plan to position 2no's of 6509 using vss 720 supervisor.in this case i will buy 2no's of VS-C6509E-S720-10G (i'm refering to the part number in price list) if i'm buing this do i need to buy seperate license to activate VSS?

i need 48 port 10/100/1000 POE RJ-45 module and 2 no's of 24 port 10/100/1000 single mode fiber module as well.

Need to use FWSM module also.

I need a line card with 6 port GBIC-Sx-MM also.

is it possible to accomodate 10 GIGabit single mode fiber line card, how many ports i can use in this.

can anyone guide me with the part numbers so that i can go ahead and size a solution.

I will rate all the posts.

Regards

SS

8 Replies 8

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The currently release of software (SXI) will not support dual supervisor in the same chassis.

The only supported modules are 6700 series modules with CFC, DFC-3C and DFC-3CXL. Where the 6700 series modules do not support POE.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps9336/prod_qas0900aecd806ed74b.html

HTH,

jerry

Dear Jerry,

thank you for your support.i'm planning to buy 2 6509 chassis with VS-S720-10G-3C supervisor. 1 supervisor in each chassis.

is there any license required to activate the VSS?

and i need the following modules on it.

1. 48 port 10/100/1000 Rj-45 module

2. 48 port 10/100/1000 single mode fiber module

3. Firewall services module.( is there any seperate license reqd?)

Regards

SS

Srinidhi,

There is no license required to enable VSS. You just pay for the IOS license.

Depending on the feature set you need, the list price for IOS is some where between $10000 and $15000.

You do not need to have 2 Sup in each box. When you create VSS, 2 physical boxes become 1 logical entity.

For example, there is only one management IP address and/or loopback IP address for both boxes.

and i need the following modules on it.

1. 48 port 10/100/1000 Rj-45 module

The above module is supported in VSS but not POE

2. 48 port 10/100/1000 single mode fiber module

There is no such thing as 10/100/100 fiber. There is 100 fiber module and also Gig and 10Gig fiber cards.

3. Firewall services module.( is there any seperate license reqd?)

The above module is supported and the license for the amount of context you need is extra

HTH

Reza

hi reza thanks for your reply.

i need to use GBIC-SX-MM to connect my san storage.

but none of the modules are fitting into the chassis bcz of vss.

is it possible for me to use 10G and change the speed t0 1Gb and coonect SAN storage.

What type of SAN connection? iSCSI or FCOE? If it support IEEE ethernet standard, it should be fine. But make sure both side are matched on the speed.

Regards,

jerry

Srinidhi,

VSS is logical and has nothing to do with the modules fitting into your chassis or you mean the optics don't fit. If you are talking about optics, 10Gig ports mostly use SC connectors and 1Gig ports use LC.

Maybe you just need a patch cord with different type connector on each end. (LC to SC)

Can you clarify?

HTH

Reza

Reza brings a really good point and I forgot about it totally. As long as you match the SFP type on the 67xx GE line card, all you need is a SC-LC patchcord and you should be set.

Regards,

jerry

Jerry,

Thanks for the rating!!!

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card