LMS 3.1 to 3.2 upgrade hanging

Unanswered Question
Oct 22nd, 2009
User Badges:

In attempting the upgrade from LMS 3.1 to 3.2 the installation appears to be hung after clicking Next on Choose Setup Type window.

This is a second attempt running with the nobackup option. The first attempt backuped up ok but hung at Checking locked files ... From recommendation of another thread on forum I set the CiscoWorks Daemon Manager service to Manual, and rebooted. I ran the installation again and it skips the backup as desired, but appears hung as noted above -- 45 minutes so far. Any ideas?

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Joe Clarke Thu, 10/22/2009 - 07:36
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

If you already have a good backup of LMS 3.1, I typically recommend customers do a clean install rather than an upgrade. That is, remove LMS 3.1 from your system, delete the leftover NMSROOT directory, then reboot, and do the following:

* Set the TEMP and TMP environment variables to short values (e.g. C:\WINDOWS\TEMP).

* Disable any anti-virus software.

* Make sure Windows Data Execution Prevention is enabled only for essential Windows services (this needs to remain in effect for the life of LMS).

* Login as a local Administrator on the server's console.

Then install 3.2 from original media. Once it's installed, follow the remote migration procedures in the install guide to restore your 3.1 backup.

chris.mcgarrah@... Thu, 10/22/2009 - 09:23
User Badges:

I have a good back up so I attempted to remove LMS 3.1 using the uninstall program. This too is hanging. Will just removing the NMSROOT directory structure allow me to do a clean install or are there other steps like deleting registry entries, etc? If so what are those steps?

Thanks.

Joe Clarke Thu, 10/22/2009 - 09:27
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

No. In your case, it's probably time for clean_system.exe. This toll will forcibly remove LMS from the system, and let you start with a clean slate. You will need to contact TAC to get it.

chris.mcgarrah@... Thu, 10/22/2009 - 14:56
User Badges:

Thanks. Got the utility from TAC. The utility ran ok and the clean install of 3.2 appeared to go ok. After rebooting to get ready for data migration from 3.1 backup. The apache service does not start, giving this error:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Apache Service

Event Category: None

Event ID: 3299

Date: 10/22/2009

Time: 6:05:47 PM

User: N/A

Computer: WDCMA215

Description:

The Apache service named reported the following error:

>>> (OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted. : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:1741

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I'd like to have a working 3.2 install before migrating data.

Joe Clarke Thu, 10/22/2009 - 15:37
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Check the output of "netstat -a -n -o -b" to make sure there isn't already a process bound to tcp/1741. If there is, kill it, and make sure it doesn't restart. Then reboot the server.

Actions

This Discussion