Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5505-SEC-PL Vs ASA5505-SEC-BUN-K9

sysadmin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Gents and Ladies,

I have a question about the licensing on the ASA. I have found on a Cisco website the following:

Cisco   ASA 5505 Security Plus bundle ASA5505-SEC-BUN-K9

Includes Cisco ASA 5505, unlimited users, 8-port Fast   Ethernet switch, stateful firewall, 25 IPsec VPN peers, 2 SSL VPN peers,   stateless Active/Standby high availability, dual ISP support, DMZ support,   3DES/AES license, and 1 expansion slot

150 Mbps/100 Mbps

Cisco ASA 5505 Security Plus bundle ASA5505-SEC-PL

Cisco ASA   5505 Security Plus license (provides stateless Active/Standby high   availability, dual ISP support, DMZ support, VLAN trunking support, and   increased session and IPSec VPN peer capacities)

Questions:

a) What's the difference between the two?other than the obvious ones like VLAN Trunking and increased session and VPN peer capacities

b) Can we pick as to which one we can get or is one of them is a license and the other is a product bundle (inclusive of hardware + that license)

I'm getting conflicting information from people so wanted to get this sorted out once and for all

Thanks so much in advance

knoa IT

5 Replies 5

jforebac
Level 1
Level 1

“Thank you for your question.  This community is for Cisco Small Business products and your question is in reference to a Cisco Elite/Classic product.  Please post your question in the Cisco NetPro forums located here: http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=main  This forum has subject matter experts on Cisco Elite/Classic products that may be able to answer your question.”

nsn-amagruder
Level 5
Level 5

ASA5505-SEC-PL is just the SEC Plus license.  The SEC-Bundle is the physical box with the sec plus license.

As previously posted, there is a better chance to get good answers, relevant search results etc ... on the netpro forums. Do please check / try the link earlier provided ... I am always impressed with the amount of info found on the netpro forum.

With that said, check this link to the ASA datasheet:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6032/ps6094/ps6120/product_data_sheet0900aecd802930c5.html

You can search (towards the bottom) and find the differences in the license bundles.  The sec-bun-k9 license is there and all that it has.  Does this meet your needs and do you need an upgrade to this?

The security plus (SEC-PL) license is a little harder to find ... adds additional features such as active/active dual wan support. 

The upgrade feature license are not easy to find.  Here is a link:

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6032/ps6094/ps6120/prod_brochure0900aecd80402e36.html

HTH,

Andrew

Dear experts,

According below answers my asa must have security plus license

ASA5505-SEC-BUN-K9 (This is my asa)

But a output of sh version is

This platform has a Base licence instead Securtiy licence?

Do you known how can i solve this problem?

Thank you.

If you have ASA5505-SEC-BUN-K9 and you don't have security plus license, you can contact licensing@cisco.com to get the original activation key which you can enter on your asa to upgrade it to security plus.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card