Helpful
Replies

CUCM License Upgrade Doubt

antonio.vazquez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a doubt related CUCM version and licensing. My doubt is as follows:

We have a CUCM 6.0.1 Cluster and we want to upgrade to 6.1.4 version. Is it possible to upgrade from the actual version to the commented version without purchase new licenses?

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

billybjo1
Level 3
Level 3

Your DLUs will be fine, but you will need a new feature license for 6.1.

If you have a current UCSS contract, its provided free. If you haven't, it will cost you.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

billybjo1
Level 3
Level 3

Your DLUs will be fine, but you will need a new feature license for 6.1.

If you have a current UCSS contract, its provided free. If you haven't, it will cost you.

Hi,

thank you for your response. I don't understand why I need to purchase new feature license to perform an upgrade, if both versions are the same mayor version.

Regards

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Antonio,

Just to add a note here to the good tips from Billy.

As far as Licensing goes,only an upgrade to a new "train" requires the Software Feature License. So for example;

CUCM 6.0(x) to 6.1(x) = No

CUCM 6.(x) to 7.0(x) = Yes

So in your case, you should be good to go :)

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob,

thank you for your response. This is more according to my thoughts.

I'll try to perform the upgrade.

Regards.

I think that if you follow the letter of the law for Cisco upgrades you can only legally download and install the 6.0 to 6.1 upgrade if you have an Essential Software (ESW) support contract.

I know that Cisco are planning to tighten up download privileges in the near future so that partners will only be able to download updates for products which they have active SmartNet/ESW/SAS contracts in place.

Perhaps on of the Cisco guys can provide the definitive answer here?

I have seen in the past that in 6.X if you are going from 6.0 to 6.1 the Call Manager service will shut down and give you issues if you do not get the 6.1 feature PAK and load it on the server.

Also the upgrade should be free if you have the proper contract. If you do not have the contracts your company is setting themselves up for failure. Cisco changes there code more than I change my mind :) so rev come out all the time.

Sorry Cisco Love You Mean It!!!!

Rob, sorry don't want to contradict you, I know you post a lot of great information. But if I look at a 6.0 and 6.1 system, each show the respective version in the feature license part, either 6.0 or 6.1. That suggests to me you do indeed need a new key/PAK, as David has also stated. I'm sure I had to install one on the last 6.0-to-6.1 upgrade I did, but it was some time ago so can't quite be 100% sure.

Billy,

I did not need a new PAK when I did a 7.0 to 7.1 upgrade a couple of months ago.

I am pretty sure this is the case for 6.0 to 6.1 as well.

James,

Ok in that case I am completely wrong. Don't want to mislead anyone, it was a while back I did this particular upgrade. I guess with the dual partitions, this is a relatively low risk thing to try out.

Hi Billy,

I am fairly certain that PAK codes are not needed for 6.0 to 6.1 but am not 100% certain.

The whole area of upgrades and what PAK codes are required seems to be poorly documented and I personally spend way too much time trying to figure out issues like this.

It would be really useful if someone from Cisco could spend a couple of days documenting this.

lukeloh
Level 1
Level 1

No upgrade license is required unless you are going from 6.x to 7.x. I have done these upgrades multiple times in the field.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: