What is a good way to monitor speeds from one switch to another?

Unanswered Question
Oct 23rd, 2009

Good morning!

I need to find out a way to monitor speeds from our main switch to other switches throughout the building. Basically from our Main switch to each closet. Anyone know of a good way or program? Price is not an option on this. I am open to all suggesstions.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Collin Clark Fri, 10/23/2009 - 06:57

The only app I know of that will measure speed (not utilization or volume) is Bandwidth Gauages from Solarwinds Network Engineers Toolset. I've attached a screenshot. Is this what you are looking for? Are you looking for real-time or long-term trending?

Collin Clark Fri, 10/23/2009 - 06:59

I stand corrected, Solarwinds Network Performance Monitor also shows bps for a link. This app would be used for long term trending. I'm sure there are other apps like MRTG that can also track this.

cisco_himg Fri, 10/23/2009 - 07:10

Hey there...I downloaded that. Where is the bandwidth gauge on there? I am looking but I cant see where it is on there....

Collin Clark Fri, 10/23/2009 - 07:13

For me it's here-

"C:\Program Files\SolarWinds\Toolset\Bandwidth-Gauges.exe"

cisco_himg Fri, 10/23/2009 - 07:34

Awesome, i found it...Now i added the server i want on the gauge, but its wanting credentials.. Can you tell me what i should put? It says that this server doesnt respond with the surrent snmp credentials...

I appreciate you helping me on this.

cisco_himg Fri, 10/23/2009 - 07:38

i just enabled traffic on my asa to allow snmp traffic to this server. Its a windows server 2003. Can you tell me how to enable it?

cisco_himg Fri, 10/23/2009 - 08:02

cool! i got it and did my first test on the gauge..i like this tool set suite. Any other cool features on this?

Collin Clark Fri, 10/23/2009 - 08:06

Netflow, the MIB tools, and the Subnet Calculator are great. Their Network Performance Monitor product is sweet too. They have a demo on their website, check it out.

This Discussion