cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New to Cisco Switches Cannot Access Express Setup 3750 PoE-48s

pjam
Level 1
Level 1

I have to admit I have never tried to set up a Cisco switch before, but I am now. Acquired two used Catalyst 3750 Series PoE-48 from a sister company that closed. I kept the two connected as it was at the other site. Tried to setup using Express Setup, LEDs blinked indicating i needed to "Reset the Switch". I have done this all week eight or ten times. After the reset it goes to STS, Mastr, Stat on the top switch and Syst and Stat on the bottom switch with no port lights.

Just in case I read something wrong I tried connecting to 10.0.0.1 with no success. i even tried using the IP number of the network it came from, no success.

What am I doing wrong please?

Getting very frustrated.

14 Replies 14

pjam
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone help? I have reset the switches numerous times and when i hold down the Mode button 3 seconds afterwards I still get flashing LEDs.

Almost three weeks and noone can help? Hard to believe!

Hi Peter,

Do you see anything on the console of the switch?

You arent giving a lot of information.

See the following link for reference.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008010ff7a.shtml

HTH

Kevin

Kevin/James,

Like I said I have no experience. I was trying to access using a CAT5 patch cable to the front.

Then after reading the link Kevin supplied I tried using the console cable. My notebook didn't have a serial port so had to find something else. At first I tried installing the cisco network Assistant. I tried scanning 10.0.0.0 and failed to connect so I tried 10.208.120.1, which was the router in its previous live still no ability to cnnect using CNA. So I tried hyperterminal. It definitely is configured for the old network as I get the prompt cmalswitch1>.

CMAL was the site code.

so how do I get into it to reset and reconfigure?

Sorry for being so ignorant.

Peter

from that prompt type:

enable

then hit enter. If it asks for a password please tell me you have it! If not then there is a password recovery link I can send you...actually, let me include that here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml

You can't do any kind of configuration until you have enable password.

Alternatively, you can do a "show ip interface brief" from the prompt you had earlier, plug a network cable from your laptop to the switch, put your laptop on the same subnet to get network connectivity and then hope you have the username/password for the GUI interface.

James

James,

I do not have the password, I tried blank. No success. I e-mailed the person I received the switches from to see if he remembered the password. If he doesn't remember or doesn't respond. I'll try the password recovery process.

thanks for your help and interest,

Peter

jfraasch
Level 3
Level 3

Not a whole lot of information to go on here.

Can you console into the switches? If so, I would blow away the config and start anew.

Once you erase startup config then you should get the initial setup menu if that is what you are going for.

I have two 3750s sitting on my desk so if you have anything you need to know after that, let me know.

Like I said though, it all starts with console access. And since this is new to you I would blow away the existing config (by getting into enable mode and typing in "erase startup config".

From there we would need to know what type of network settings you need for the LAN and what it is you are trying to connect to.

James

Hi Peter,

The link James posted for the password recovery is a good place to start learning anyway. You'll probably come across a device that you can't find the password for in an emergency, so having the practise done for the password reset can't be a bad thing!

...just follow the instructions to the letter!

Kevin

Ok James and kevin, we found the password and now have a prompt CMALSwitch1#

How do I proceed to blow away the config and start new? Is there documentation or can i access it with the Cisco network Assistant?

To erase the config, type write erase. Then set your enable password to what ever you want and saving the config by doing the following

CMALSwitch>enable

CMALSwitch#conf t

CMALSwitch(config)#enable password whateveryouwant

CMALSwitch(config)#end

CMALSwitch#write memory

Building configuration...

[OK]

CMALSwitch#

You will need to setup an IP address to use CNA.

Here is the 3750 configuration guide

http://www-europe.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_25_se/configuration/guide/swcli.html

Thanks, i'll give it a try and report back

Hi guys,

OK that seems to be OK.

I have entered the basic setup, found out what the old IP number was and have changed it to what I need.

I am now at a question that asks: "Enable as a cluster command switch"?

I have two of these connected together so i believe I want to say yes, is that correct?

You are exactly right.

Just hit yes on the one switch.

James

Well setup must have timed out, so I had to start over.

However I believe I have finished basic setup.  i changed the notebook to a static IP and was able to connect using Cisco Network Assistant.

Now I just have to decide if I want to put them on the LAN or whether I need to do some testin first.

Thank you both for all your help.

Have a great weekend

Hey you two, sorry for not getting back.  Went to Sun Valley to see my son.

Switches are configured correctly and tested so ready to start moving from NetGears.

Thanks for all your help.

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: