Views
Helpful
Replies

CM7-Calling between 2 partitions

faizal_vi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am using CM ver 7. I have configured extension mobility. The main objective behind configuring EM is for login and logout facility for the users.No user is using the Mobility of the EM.

I have a requirement like i need the same DN should remain on the device when a user logs out. In this case I will have same DN configured in 2 partitions.

My requirment is like

1. when user logged he should be able to receive and make calls when logges in

2 when the user get logged out the phone should only receive calls.

The current state is everything is functonal at the logged in state. But now calls(inbound or outbound is working)

Is this is a feasible requirement?

If yes how can make it work..

Plz comment

Faizal

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, that simply doesn't work

You will be able to call only 1 at any given time.

You would need to configure a call forward behavior on the DN that is higher in the CSS from calling devices to route to the other DN that's below when unregistered.

This obviously because of the best match routing (if you're not familiar read the Dial Plan chapter from SRND)

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

lukeloh
Level 1
Level 1

Note that you need to use the Device-Line CSS approach for this to work. One CSS for the device (phone) and another CSS for the line. See the 7.x SRND.

1. Create two partitions

e.g. PT-LoggedOut-Line, PT-LoggedIn-Line

Make sure both these PTs are in your gateway and device CSSs. Make sure PT-LoggedOut-Line has higher priority (i.e. is above) than PT-LoggedIn-Line.

e.g. CSS-Device

i. PT-LoggedOut-Line

ii. PT-LoggedIn-Line

iii. etc

2. Program both your DNs

2000 / PT-LoggedOut-Line

2000 / PT-LoggedIn-Line

3. Assign 2000 / PT-LoggedOutLine to the logged out phone and 2000 / PT-LoggedInline to the logged in phone.

4. Assign the phone device a CSS that can call everything.

5. Assign 2000 / PT-LoggedOutLine a blocking CSS that blocks all calls.

Assign 2000 / PT-LoggedInLine a blank CSS or a CSS that only blocks numbers that should not be called e.g. Premium 900 numbers, toll fraud etc.

Caveats (and gotchas):

1. The above design will work great as long as your users don't have voicemail or don't have any form of call coverage.

If you have VM on the user profile then you need additional steps below.

Create a separate CSS-LoggedInOnly that can only search PT-LoggedIn-Line.

Then for 2000 / PT-LoggedOut-Line set CFNA/CFB/CFUR Ext/Int to XXXX / CSS-LoggedInOnly.

Note that you will need to do this for each and everyone of your extensions. I suggest using the XXXX wildcard so it's easier to BAT this in.

What happens now is:

1. When someone (PSTN or phone) dials the extension, it looks at the CSS for the gateway or device. PT-LoggedOut-Line is matched first because it is ordered higher in the list.

If the user is logged-out, the logged-out DN is available and the phone rings. After your RNA period (default 12s), it will then look at the behaviour you programmed for CFNA.

If the DN is not available e.g. because user is logged-in, it simply skips the ringing phase and goes straight to CFNA.

2. You have set CFNA to search XXXX (its own extension) in PT-LoggedIn-Line so it will then ring the DN on the logged-in profile.

3. If the DN on the profile is not answered, then it will CFNA to voicemail as expected.

If the DN on the profile is not available e.g. not logged-in, then it will go straight to the CFNA behaviour for the profile - which is voicemail.

With the above CFNA setup, calls will go to voicemail regardless of whether the user is logged in or out and you still maintain your outbound Class of Restriction due to the CSS on set on the Line.

Hope this makes sense. Remember that for outbound COR you need to implement your CSS using the Device-Line approach and the SRND covers this in much greater detail.

Wouldn't it be easier to just leave the DN CSS blank and configure the phone with a "line-blocked" CSS and the Device Profile with an open CSS? I'm not sure I like the idea of relying on the fact that phones are "not available" because they have a Device Profile logged in. That sounds like something that could easily change in even a minor CCM patch.

Yes, that's pretty much what I'm suggesting. Blocked CSS for Line, Open (or blank) CSS for Device.

DN "not available" probably isn't the most accurate technical term to use. I am referring to the database state of the DN when it is not active on a phone line or logged-in user profile. CFNA gets triggered immediately as there is no actual line to ring.

Doubt this will change in a minor patch, has behaved this way since at least CM4. But never say never :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: