Views
Helpful
Replies

Counterfeit PAP2T???

jraymond4321
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I ordered a PAP2T from ebay.  It shipped from Hong Kong.

After reading a number of posts regarding counterfeit devices, I wonder if this is also counterfeit.

There is a barcode label for both the serial number and MAC address on the back of the unit.  However, there is no numeric serial number or mac address printed.  It is just the barcode.  The numeric barcode translation is blank.  That concerned me.

One of the posts I read had a link to identify the company associated with the MAC address.  It was "Scientific Tech" something or other, not Cisco or Linksys.

Product Name:PAP2TSerial Number:FLI00F821056
Software Version:5.1.6(LS)Hardware Version:0.1.5
MAC Address:00173202671EClient Certificate:Installed
Customization:Open

Can anyone tell me if this is a counterfeit.   Or if there is a way to tell?

I can't get it to work with Gizmo5 and GoogleVoice, which is why I bought it.

Thanks

24 Replies 24

bethingt
Level 1
Level 1

THe Serial number for that unit does pulled back a registered PAP2T-EU, Phone Adapter with 2 Ports for Voice-over-IP (Europe), but the MAC is different on the registered product than the one you listed. Hope this helps.

Brian

Patrick Born
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi jraymond4321,

Thanks for letting us know. I've alerted Product Management.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Thanks for the replies.

I contacted the seller, who says the device is not counterfeit.  I don't believe it.

Is there anyone who can verify if the attached SN and MAC address barcodes are legit?  I question them since they don't have anything other than the barcode printed.  All my other Linksys devices have the SN/MAC addresses printed on the label along with the barcode.

I tried to use some barcode reader software to interpret, but I couldn't get it to recognize the barcode.

Also, can you tell me what barcode type Linksys uses on the labels?

Please let me know.

Thank you.

Hi jraymond4321,

I've sent the photo and barcode question to the product manager and will let you know of their response.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Please provide the device's configuration as described here: https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9904

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Here is the config.

Thanks!

Hello Cisco Team,

I never got any confirmation from anyone regarding the status of this device.

I believe Brian had said he would let me know what product management said.

I am currently trying to resolve this case with Paypal, and it would be very helpful if I could communicate that Linksys/Cisco has said this is a counterfeit device.

I can't believe there is any other conclusion, based on the barcode label for both the SN and MAC both showing 1234567890 as the 3 of 9 barcode.

Also based on the fact there is no SN or MAC number printed below the barcode, and the fact that the SN in the config does not match the barcode, and the fact the MAC address in the config doesn't match up to the serial number in the config.

But it would be great if someone from Ciso/Linksys could say "This is not a legitimate, new Linksys device".....

Thank you, and I look forward to your reply.

Yes, it would be really great if the Cisco folks could comment on this in more detail.

Many people in various forums seem to think that many units sold on ebay are not genuine.

e.g.

http://forums.gizmo5.com/viewtopic.php?p=48800&sid=5bcf036acebf82f15a41f5f71f54577f

and there are reports from last year about counterfeit routers etc.

http://www.infoworld.com/d/security-central/fbi-worried-dod-sold-counterfeit-cisco-gear-266

Thanks!

Hi Spaceless,

Your purchase of the PAP2T thougt the gray markets look very suspicious.

The Public OUI database shows the MAC address is part of a organization called ;

00-17-32 (hex)  Science-Technical Center "RISSA"

001732   (base 16) Science-Technical Center "RISSA"

st. Abramtsevskaja, h.9 Moscow  128572

RUSSIAN FEDERATION

On the picture, within this thread, no serial number or MAC address..hmmm most suspicious, return it.

Since this was purchased through the grey market, hopefully go can get a refund.
Unlocked PAP2T or unlocked SPA2102 are not expensive through legitimate distributors of these ATA's.
I would have thought, then you have the advantage of some support via your distributor and Cisco.

regards and good luck

Dave

Hi spaceless & Community,

Here's a response to the issue that you raised, "

In the past few months, there have been several messages posted about the PAP2 family of devices and the possibility of non-genuine Cisco products in the marketplace. In most cases these posts involve devices purchased via auction sites and other web-based locations.  Products, legitimate or otherwise, that are sourced from outside the Cisco Channel can pass through many hands before they reach you.  This is why it is vital to ensure that you know your source of supply.  It is also the reason why products that are sourced outside Cisco Channels are not guaranteed by Cisco.

To be clear, Cisco recommends purchasing Cisco products from authorized Cisco dealers only.  However, in response to customer requests, we wanted to provide a list (http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/program/other/brand-protection/protect.html) of common warning signs related to product authenticity that buyers should consider prior to each purchase.  In addition, in this particular case, customers should beware of sellers claiming they have new inventory of the PAP2 family of devices, as Cisco has not produced this model in several years."

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

You can't view the link pointing to a common list of warning signs because it requires a certain level of security that ordinary users (like me) don't have.

Hi jraymond4321,

I believe that Sam was in touch with you a while ago. I've contacted him and the product management team for the official Cisco response that you're wanting. Sam said the response will be available in a few days.

In the interim, here are examples of what two of my legitimate Cisco/Linksys/Sipura device's MAC address report:

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Hi Jraymond, I am in the same boat now in which you were. I also field dispute with paypal for counterfiet PAP2T product. Could you advise, what paypal did? Did they really helped? How the case was resolved? Is there any advise for me?

PayPal was not helpful.  I opened a dispute with them.  They required that I ship the device back to the seller.  I received email instructions from PayPal saying you had to provide online proof of "shipment".  I shipped via USPS, but USPS service did not provide delivery confirmation.  The USPS service I used was the only one that was cheaper than my original purchase price.

Paypal later sent me an email saying since I didn't provide delivery confirmation, I lost the dispute and it was closed.  There is no way that I can find to contact Paypal or to re-open or comment on my dispute once they closed it.

So I got no money back from the seller, I paid extra to ship it back to China and I don't have the device.

Needless to say PayPal sucks.  I will always use a credit card with them in the future, and let the credit card company deal with the fraud.

Good Luck.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: