CUE corrupted when upgrading a UC520 to 7.0.3

Unanswered Question
Oct 24th, 2009

I recently perform a full upgrade (IOS and CUE) in a UC520, with CCA2.1, and the IOS upgrade ends ok, but the CUE upgrade still working long time (all the night), for this reason I restart the UC520 at the morning, 9-10 hours before start the upgrade.

Then, I relaunch CCA, and in the Dashboard Voicemail Status appears the next message:

"Cannot connect to voicemail system. CUE module is disabled or inaccessible.”

I try to access to CUE by CLI, in the status appears the next:

UC520#service-module integrated-Service-Engine 0/0 status
Service Module is Cisco Integrated-Service-Engine0/0
Service Module supports session via TTY line 2
Service Module is in Steady state
Service Module heartbeat-reset is enabled
Getting status from the Service Module, please wait..

Cisco Unity Express 7.0.3
CUE running on UC500

But when I try:

UC520#service-module integrated-Service-Engine 0/0 session

Appears:

UC520#service-module integrated-Service-Engine 0/0 session
Trying 10.1.10.2, 2002 ... Open
Booting: [################>..........................................] 27% waiting 1397 ...
[Connection to 10.1.10.2 closed by foreign host]  <= This after a long (very long) wait.

I think the CUE is corrupted, I search for ways to do it, but the ways I find all tell that its needed to access to service-module integrated-Service–Engine 0/0 session to do it… and I can access.

Somebody knows a process to recovery the CUE from this situation?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Arnoldo Jiménez de Lara M.
   Guadalajara, Jalisco, México.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
John Platts Sat, 10/24/2009 - 15:24

Remember that the CUE module is not rebooted whenever you execute a reload of the UC520 unit in CLI. The CUE module on UC520 and UC540 units is directly connected to the power source. It appears that you are going to have to reboot the CUE module using CLI.

John Platts Sat, 10/24/2009 - 15:28

Here are the steps to do an actual hardware reset of the CUE module on the UC520:

• Telnet or SSH into your UC520 unit
  • Enter the username and password for the UC520 unit when prompted
  • You should get a prompt similar to this: uc520-unit#. If you get a prompt with a > sign instead of a # sign (such as uc520-unit>), type enable, and then press enter, and then enter the enable password if prompted to do so to get the # prompt.
  • Execute the service-m i0/0 reset command to perform an actual hardware reset of the CUE module. This will perform an actual hardware reset of the CUE module and not reboot the UC520 unit. The reload command actually does the opposite of the service-m i0/0 reset command. The reload command reboots the UC520 unit, but does not reboot the associated CUE module.
avanter08 Sun, 10/25/2009 - 08:51

John:

Thanks a lot for your answer.

But the really problem was that I issued the command:

service-m i0/0 session, even if I have executed a service-m i0/0 reset or power off and on the UC500, the command didn’t respond.

But finally I found a document: “Reinstalling a Cisco Unity Express Image Using the Boothelper” under the next link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity_exp/rel7_0/install/boothelp.html

And it works very fine, take its time, but the CUE is now is up again.

I attach the .pdf too.

I expect it will be useful to somebody that have the same problem.

Best regards!