cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3845 and OC-3c

a.cruea1980
Level 3
Level 3

I've tried looking around on Cisco's website, and I don't really see much info about what a 3845's max circuit capacity is.

Now, if I go off of some of the router performance sheets, the thing can do up to around 200 or 300Mbps. I've found where it has an OC-3 card available for it, but that's with ATM.

Just curious if anyone has ran an OC-3 through a 3845. All we have our 3845 doing is simple routing; no ACLs, no packet inspection, nothing. . .just routing.

TIA

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

3845 should work fine for running an OC3

The only thing you will need is to have the circuit presented to you on ethernet

Narayan

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

3845 should work fine for running an OC3

The only thing you will need is to have the circuit presented to you on ethernet

Narayan

Awesome, thanks.

Just a couple of points to keep in mind.

If the Ethernet handoff is FastEthernet, you'll only be able to utilize 2/3 bandwidth of the maximum possible OC3.

If the Ethernet handoff is Gigibit Ethernet, you may want to shape outbound which will add some to your CPU load. The 500 Kpps rated performance of the 3845, for minimum size packets, doesn't guarantee being able to sustain full OC3 bandwidth for such packets, and a shaper will further reduce it. Although for "normal" sized packets I doubt it will be an issue.

Hi, Sorry to bug in this form,

What i understand is i buy OC3 and ask provider to give me Gig or Fast Ethernet Handoff and i connect it simply on my rotuer Ethernet? that simple?

What if i want to install it in fiber form directly in router, then what card need to be purchased?

Already discussed in another thread, please do not open duplicates.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card