Replies

Standby ACE unresponsive

sidcracker
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

My standby ACE has gone to unresponsive mode and shows something like this

peer state: FSM_FT_STATE_UNKNOWN

This is for all the contexts in the slot module. My question is how do we bring it back to HOT_STANDBY when all contexts are unresponsive

AND

How do we bring it to HOT_STANDBY when just one context is unresponsive

Thanks

SID

3 Replies 3

sachinga.hcl
Level 4
Level 4

HI Sid,

It is very similar to the previous response of your query.

As I am seeing one error message here in your mail:

peer state: FSM_FT_STATE_UNKNOWN

Upon failure of the fault tolerant link between Services Chassis's the peer standby ACE begins to query the status of its peer active ACE. Six consecutive ping requests occur approximately every five seconds across the query interface VLAN while the fault tolerant link is down. The output from the show ft group detail command shown below indicates that the fault tolerant link is down; the primary peer state is unknown but the primary peer is still reachable. As a result, the standby peer remains in FSM_FT_STATE_STANDBY_COLD. When the fault tolerant link is recovered the query ping tests cease.

dca-ss2-ace/Admin# show ft group detail

FT Group : 1

No. of Contexts : 1

Context Name : Admin

Context Id : 0

Configured Status : in-service

Maintenance mode : MAINT_MODE_OFF

My State : FSM_FT_STATE_STANDBY_COLD

My Config Priority : 50

My Net Priority : 50

My Preempt : Enabled

Peer State : FSM_FT_STATE_UNKNOWN

Peer Config Priority : Unknown

Peer Net Priority : Unknown

Peer Preempt : Unknown

Peer Id : 1

Last State Change time : Wed Jun 11 14:46:08 2008

Running cfg sync enabled : Disabled

Running cfg sync status : FT Vlan Down or TL down. Peer may be reachable through

alternate interface

Startup cfg sync enabled : Disabled

Startup cfg sync status : FT Vlan Down or TL down. Peer may be reachable through

alternate interface

Bulk sync done for ARP: 0

Bulk sync done for LB: 0

Bulk sync done for ICM: 0

FT Group : 2

No. of Contexts : 1

Context Name : dca-ace-one

Context Id : 1

Configured Status : in-service

Maintenance mode : MAINT_MODE_OFF

My State : FSM_FT_STATE_STANDBY_COLD

My Config Priority : 50

My Net Priority : 50

My Preempt : Enabled

Peer State : FSM_FT_STATE_UNKNOWN

Peer Config Priority : Unknown

Peer Net Priority : Unknown

Peer Preempt : Unknown

Peer Id : 1

Last State Change time : Wed Jun 11 14:46:08 2008

Running cfg sync enabled : Disabled

Running cfg sync status : FT Vlan Down or TL down. Peer may be reachable through

alternate interface

Startup cfg sync enabled : Disabled

Startup cfg sync status : FT Vlan Down or TL down. Peer may be reachable through

alternate interface

Bulk sync done for ARP: 0

Bulk sync done for LB: 0

Bulk sync done for ICM: 0

All fault tolerant groups will honor the results of the query tests and remain in a FSM_FT_STATE_STANDBY_COLD state on the standby peer ACE.

The Admin context allows the network administrator to assemble virtual contexts into failover groups. A failover group is a container, which permits a pair of ACE modules to define several failover characteristics and apply them to all virtual context assigned to the container, including the Admin context. These defining features include:

•The associated peer ACE

•The priority or preference value for each ACE module in the redundant pairing

•Preemption (enabled by default)

•The virtual context(s) coupled to the group

Sachin Garg

contd....

Below is an example of the failover groups used during testing. The failover group has an associated peer and priorities. Note that the higher priority ACE module will be the primary platform for the active virtual context associated with the fault tolerant group. Preemption enforces this preference during service recovery and is not visible in the command line output unless disabled.

On Primary

ft group 1

peer 1

priority 150

peer priority 50

associate-context Admin

inservice

On Standby

ft group 1

peer 1

priority 50

peer priority 150

associate-context Admin

inservice

---

The tracking features of the ACE can decrement the failover group priority value allowing intelligent and conditional graceful failover between modules. The fault tracking features in this design will be documented under the ACE Virtual Context Configuration section, but it is important to understand that the priority or module preference definition is found under the failover group construct.

This error appears if you have not given the correct priority for the ft group on both of the Primary and Secondary.

ACE features configuration synchronization between peers. This means only a limited set of interface and fault tolerant configuration is necessary on the peer ACE to match the primary ACE configuration through this automated feature. Configuration synchronization applies to all contexts including the Admin context.

Sachin Garg

Hi Sachin,

Could you outline the procedure to reload the ACE and in which order do we give it on the ACES?

When we manually sync the configs is it necessary to reload the ACE?

Thanks in advance