Views
Helpful
Replies

SPAN on 4500 and 6500 series switch

prasad.gsmc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have some 200 servers connected to my L3 switch. I am planning to SPAN for every server to one Sniffer. Is it technically viable? what are the possible challenges I might face ?

Thanks in advance..

4 Replies 4

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Where is the SPAN destination located. Are you planning to do a local SPAN or a remote SPAN. SPAN is done in hardware so you can do it. You might just be hiiting the hardware limitation on the switch. With Local SPAN, you can create only 2 sessions and a maxiumum of 128 SPAN sources with Release 12.2(18)SXE and later.

Please read the doc below for all the restrictions before going ahead :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SXF/native/configuration/guide/span.html#wp1102614

HTH,

-amit singh

Hi,

I am planning for Local SPan. If I do a Source SPAN with VLAN, inderectly covering all the ports, whether still I have hardware limitation......

Should not be a problem. But again it depends on the hardware how it behaves with such a huge traffic. As it is done in hardware, we beleive that you will be absolutely fine with it.

I will test my luck...

thanks for the data..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card