Views
Helpful
Replies

Near AP and Far AP- Client Ping Mismatches

ciscokid7181
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

I wonder, if anyone has faced similar issues.

1. Clients get connected to a farther AP rather than AP inside the room . Ping rate differs between clients , which means for eg: in real Thinkpad X61 with Athero Adapters perform better latency like 1-2 digits [2ms, 5ms, 10ms, 12ms, 15ms etc]

2. Why do I see fluctuation in signal especially in windows wireless. I dont see disconnection , but signal flaps 2/5, 3/5. 5/5 etc...

Sounds strange, coz its very difficult to convince customer regarding these issue.

Please help and advise .

SIDdarth

3 Replies 3

jeromehenry_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

The ping rate does not depend on Windows, but simply on the RF conditions for each client. The RF conditions change all the time, so Round Trip Time changes all the time. This is normal and not an issue, as long as it stays within acceptable values.

The RF environment is also related to the client, depending on the client wireless chipset, amplifiers, antenna, exact position in space, etc. Move the client a few centimeters away and the RTT will change also.

I see no issue there. Your client may just need a basic wireless training for him to understand that wireless is different from wired connections...

:-)

Hi Jerome,

Thanks for the response. Can you please what value would be the acceptable latency ?

Means in other ways 5ms, 10ms, 20ms are these values fine. rarely latency comes in 50ms in an interval of 5 min or so......

Regards,

SID

Hey SID,

It is very difficult to determine what is an acceptable latency, because it depends very much on what kind of applications your wireless clients are using. VoWLAN clients would probably not be happy with a latency on the wireless side of more than 50 ms, while TCP based applications may easily support 100 ms...

Another interesting factor is if latency is roughly in the same values over time... you mention 50 ms every 5 min or so, this may be very acceptable, but all this depends very much on what your clients are expecting... is your customer complaining about specific issue, or juts curious about how things work?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: