cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Blocking users using mac address

prince.ibe
Level 1
Level 1

I have some users on our corporate network who I need to block from the network using mac address. I can't do this via dhcp because the users are using static IPs which they keep changing once it is blocked on the PIX 515E using the shun command.

How can I block access to these users on the PIX. The PIX is the default gateway.

5 Replies 5

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

You cannot block by mac-address on the PIX.

HTH>

Andrew is right. You cannot block based on the mac-address on the PIX but, you can see if you can do this on the switch side using mac access-list

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_configuration_example09186a0080470c39.shtml

You could also consider configuring your switch to0 use VMPS, depends on your switch platform.

If you do implement VMPS - you can create a specific VLAN for these users, then either block by IP address or route them into a black hole for non lAN traffic.

I have a slightly complex situation at the moment which I hope to solve in the near future.

I inherited a flat network. No VLANs. No DMZ. In fact, the PIX acts as the LAN gateway with only 2 ports - one inside the other outside to a router which connects to the internet via vsat modem.

I hope to implement some control soonest using websence but before then, I am up to my chin troubled about this particular user that frequently changes his static IP and throttles the network badly.

What other method can I readily deploy to cut him permanently off the network? ...

you can use private vlans - see the below url for config examples:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008013565f.shtml

Put this guy's switch port in a seperate VLAN and control him this way.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card