cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

mixed cat 5e and cat 6

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I never heard anyone having a problem mixing cat 5e and cat 6 with the scenario below, but I experienced it today troubleshooting a network.

Diagram 1:

Server<-Cat 5e-><-Switch-><-Cat 6->Server

Settings: auto/auto

Negotiated: 1000/full-duplex

Errors/Packet Drops: none

File Size: 300GB

Throughput: 120Mbps max.

Failure: After 90% data transferred

I found out that the cable on the other side of the switch is cat 5e so I change it to cat 6.

Diagram 2:

Server<-Cat 6-><-Switch-><-Cat 6->Server

Settings: auto/auto

Negotiated: 1000/full-duplex

Errors/Packet Drops: none

File Size: 300GB

Throughput: 200Mbps max.

Failure: none

Anyone can explain or have a link that explain why it is not allowed to mixed cat 5e and cat 6 in the above diagram 1? I know for sure that it is not allowed to mixed cat 5e and cat 6 in a patch panel/patch cord.

2 Replies 2

mmacdonald70
Level 1
Level 1

I don't see how this issue could be related to using two different cables since there is a switch in between. If the problem was corrected when you switched the cable, I would suspect a bad cable.

Did you check errors on the ports? With the NIC and switchport set to auto, did you verify that both ends negotiated to 1000/F?

Thats what I think also, there is a switch in between.

Your questions is already answered in my post above.

Not bad cable, this doesn't happen only between two servers, but a lot of servers in the same connection as illustrated above.

We try FTP, SFTP, Windows Share and using Cat 6 end-to-end have better throughput.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card