cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Last Reset from Reload, on a show Version

aray69
Level 1
Level 1

When this says Last Reset From Reload, on the Show Version. Does this mean someone actually typed in Reload from the console? We had a catalyst 4500 reboot last week, and we are not sure why. We are trying to figure out how this rebooted.

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Aray,

Use management tools

If you have ACS running, you can check who logged in last week, what time and based on username you can tell who did what.

HTH

Reza

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

Also check for crash files on the flash.

You should enable at least syslog on a remote server and configure syslog on the switch to have a minimum of information for such things.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_44_se/configuration/guide/swlog.html

We do not have ACS running.

At the time we also didn't have Syslog enabled. I don't see any crash files on the Flash. the only thing I see on flash is the IOS and config flies.

does any other kind of Reboot show up as last reset by Reload? I know a physical shut down shows up at last reset by Power on.

Just curious if I should start changing my Passwords, on the switches.

If there is problem with the IOS like memory leak, it can make the box reboot, but it would generate crash files.

Do you have people logging with their usernames and passwords or you just use 1 username and password for every one?

Reza

everyone uses 1 username and password.

mchickey
Level 1
Level 1

I know this is an old thread, but in case someone searches for this with the same issue I'd like to put in my 2 cents.

4500s (4506s, 4507s, and 4510s) can sometimes experience issues with hardware and the backplane.  For instance, if a fan tray assembly reports flaky voltages to the power supplies, it can trip the power supplies causing a reload.  In my experience this does not generate crash files.  You can issue this command on your chassis to determine your diagnostic bootup level:

show diagnostic bootup level

If your level is "minimal", you won't see anything but a simple "reload" as the reason for your reboot.  Increasing this level might cause future reboots to take longer.  Also, if there is a fault, having a more comprehensive diagnostic bootup process might trigger that fault and put your switch into ROMMON.  This is a worst case scenario of course, but just food for thought.  Take care.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card