cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do gatekeepers need a dedicated physical interface

Tod Larson
Level 3
Level 3

I recently took control of a network that has several h323 vtc endpoints registered to a gatekeeper.

The 3700 router that is the gatekeeper has a physical interface that appears to only exist to be the IP address of the gatekeeper. The 3700 router has other physical interfaces such as the serial interface to the WAN plus the gateway interface for the LAN.

The 10/100 interface with the gatekeeper IP address has no other configuration besides the "ip address" command. It is also physically connected to the switch.

All the gatekeeper unique configs are in the gatekeeper config on the 3700.

Do I really need to dedicate a physical interface so be the gatekeeper? Can I usa loopback interface or use my gateway ip address?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can actually use interface you like as long matches your GWs configuration.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can actually use interface you like as long matches your GWs configuration.

Thank you for the answer but what do you mean by "your GWs configuration?" I assume GW=Gateway.

Just that whatever reference to addresses, must match.

We've redeployed out gatekeeper using /32 loop back interfaces.  We have 2 routers each with a /32 loop back.  Then we have 1 gatekeeper on each router configred in a cluster with each other.  It works great.   Now we can use that physical interface for something else and we have redundancy.

Thanks for the input.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: