Connecting Wi-Fi Printer to Cisco AP

Unanswered Question
Oct 26th, 2009

Hi all,

I have what might be a simple question. We have a scenario where we have laptops that connect to a Cisco AP which is on a an IP segment (172.16.16.x). This AP serves laptop users that connect to this AP. We have a LAN printer that is on the corp. LAN which is on a separate IP segment (10.10.100.x). The question is if I were to replace this printer with a printer that has a NIC and Wireless Card, setup the NIC an IP on the LAN IP segment (10.10.100.x) and the Wireless card on the wireless IP segment (172.16.16.x), would this setup work?

Thanks in advance,

SK

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Mon, 10/26/2009 - 17:52

If you create two SSIDs and each SSIDs is for the printer and the PCs, this should works.

sadik.bash Mon, 10/26/2009 - 19:41

I am afraid that I am not clear on the answer proposed.

The printer would be on the corp LAN with an IP address of 10.x.x.x and the wireless card would be configured with an IP address of 172.16.x.x. The question is would this setup work so the printer can server both the LAN hosts on 10.x.x.x and the wireless hosts on 172.16.x.x?

Thanks again,

sK

weterry Mon, 10/26/2009 - 20:33

This really depends on your printer. If your printer can actually have two NICs (wireless and wired), and them function at the same time, then I suppose there is no reason this wouldn't work.

However, a typical deployment would be just to have routing from the Wireless users to the 10.X.X.X LAN segment. Is there a reason why you are not routing traffic between 172.16 and 10.x? Are these two physically seperate networks (like for guest access)?

Again, if you have a printer that can actually maintain and respond to two different network addresses, then I'd say this shouldn't be a problem.

sadik.bash Mon, 10/26/2009 - 21:14

Yes, these two networks are physically separte and there is no routing between the wireless and wired segments.

The wireless is on the "Guest" network controlled by a different entity and the wired is controlled by my company.

Thanks in advance,

sK

Actions

This Discussion