Views
Helpful
Replies

Connectivity Options

joe.marcelo9
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have cisco 2821 Router with 2 fastEthernet module. One port connected to my LAN and other port to ISP-Modem

We got another Internet link over Ethernet. Apart from purchasing Ethernet module do I have any other Options.

8 Replies 8

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Another option is to configure the LAN connecting port on 2821 as trunk port and connect the new internet link to the switch connected to the port. Create another Vlan for internet link and enable the inter-vlan routing for routing traffic to that internet.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst5000/hybrid/routing.html#wp43662

HTH,

-amit singh

Great Help, Do I need a static route to second Internet-link.

switch

=======

vlan 10

name NET1

vlan 11

name NET2

interface FastEthernet0/24

switchport trunk native vlan 100

switchport trunk allowed vlan 10-11

switchport mode trunk

interface FastEthernet0/1

switchport access vlan 10

switchport mode access

interface FastEthernet0/2

switchport access vlan 11

switchport mode access

interface Vlan1

ip address 192.166.255.1 255.255.255.248

ip default-gateway 192.166.255.2

---------------------------------------------

Router

======

interface FastEthernet0/0

ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0

duplex auto

speed auto

interface FastEthernet0/1

no ip address

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface FastEthernet0/1.1

encapsulation dot1Q 1

ip address 192.166.255.2

interface FastEthernet0/1.10

encapsulation dot1Q 10

ip address 80.98.15.3 255.255.255.240

interface FastEthernet0/1.11

encapsulation dot1Q 11

ip address 79.65.3.8 255.255.255.248

router eigrp 2

network 10.0.0.1 0.0.0.255

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 80.98.15.1

Our Final Goal : Establish VPN Tunnel redundancy over Two Internet link to parent-company

Yes, create another static route with higher AD to use it as floating static route. somthing like

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.1 200

This would make sure that one your primary link/route goes down the secondary route/link will be used for routing the traffic and have the VPN tunnel kicked in using the standby link.

Eigrp do support load balancing on unequal bandwidth. Does it works similar for Gre Tunnels with IPSEC.

Joe,

It should would the same way. I have used EIGRP with DMVPN and works well for load-balancing.

Make sure that in your crypto map you have the peer destination as a loopback IP for VPN tunnel redundancy.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk372/technologies_configuration_example09186a008009438e.shtml

Also, let us know if you have the redundant link terminating at central site on a single router or on a secondary/redundant router.

HTH,

-amit singh

Amit,

I am following the same example you send me but it has twist.

Hub for now will be Single head with one Service provider. Next week will get another Internet Link from different service provider terminating on Different router.

Spokes already have two Service provider.

Load Balancing from Spoke end should work with Two Tunnels terminating the Hub from different service provider.

For Spoke with Two Service Provider do I still need to add floating routes ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 SP2

you need it in order to reach or forward the traffic to ISP. You dont need the route if you are running a routing protocol with ISP. You have to configure the second default route without any higher AD i.e not making it floating route in order to have traffic forwarded to both the ISP's simultaneously.

Once you have both the GRE tunnels up and the destinations are listed in the routing table the load-balancing should work. Make sure that you advertise the routes in EIGRP process on both the routers.

Hello

I not using routing protocol with ISP, its static routes.

Attached configuration doesn't seems to work. Tunnel down with Loopback.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco