Views
Helpful
Replies

Too long time to receive the reply from Exchange to Unity

JustForVoice_2
Level 4
Level 4

I have the following scenario:

Two Unity 7 servers with Fail-over. and one Exchange 2003.

when the user presses the message button the unity reply immediately to enter the password. once the user enter his/her password he/she needs to wait approximately 50 seconds to hear if there is new message or not.

I tried to restart the Exchange but the same problem??

5 Replies 5

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

Check the user's inbox from Outlook - I have found this occasional problem when the user either has tons of messages in the inbox, or more likely, has carved up the primary inbox into multiple folders. Unity is using MAPI to access the user's Exchange inbox and must bring the inbox into memory ... this could be a cause of delay. If this is happening to multiple users, make sure Unity and Exchange are in the same subnet if possible, minimize connection to < 40 ms.

Hope this helps, Ginger

Thank you for your reply.

I am facing this problem with all users.

and the exchange that is used for Unity is standalone and no user connect to it through the outlook.

regarding the subnet, both of them in the same subnet but in different Data Center.

Hello,

I just stumbled across your post looking into something else. We have almost the identical situation in our environment that we have stil been unable to resolve with cases open with TAC and MS.

Here's the link to my post which contains recommendations from others in the forum:

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=IP%20Telephony&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.2cd48bd0

I'll be sure to update this post if/when a resolution is found.

Regards,

Jason

You say the Exchange is in another data center? Depending, this may be your problem. Since it's affecting all users, I would assume an issue with Exchange or the connection between Exchange and Unity. ince after putting in the password Unity is trying to login to the subscriber mailbox at that time of delay. Can you give us more details about the location of Unity and Exchange? Are they separated by a WAN or Firewall? If so, this may be the reason for you problems. Please review the requirements for Exchange and Unity locations from the design guide.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/design/guide/5xcudg040.html#wp1067017

Namely this portion...

Physical Placement and Network Infrastructure

Revised May 6, 2008

To ensure that Cisco Unity functions properly, we require that a Cisco Unity server be in the same data center as the following servers:

•The Exchange server that Cisco Unity communicates with, commonly known as the partner Exchange server. For more information on the partner Exchange server, see the "Exchange Considerations (All Versions)" section.

•Every Exchange server on which mailboxes for that Cisco Unity server are homed. If Cisco Unity is separated by a WAN from an Exchange server on which subscriber mailboxes are homed, a second Cisco Unity server must be co-located with the remote Exchange server.

Also, the delay in Unity conversation doc is good to look at here..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_tech_note09186a0080094e60.shtml

Tray

Thank you Jason and Tray for your support

Regarding the location for Unity and exchange both are in the same Vlan,there is Fiber connection between the two DC and both of them. and as I said before the servers in the same subnet.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: