cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phone and 802.1x

markjiang
Level 1
Level 1

We have implemented 802.1x in our company.There is a problem about inputting the 802.1x code.

Because we don't want end users to get the 802.1x code,so we have to input 802.1x for every phone.And inputting 802.1x code is a hard work.

Is there any way of inputting 802.1x code without operating on every phone?

6 Replies 6

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No; however, if you use certificates instead of manual credentials you can trust the MIC to get the phone bootstrapped (firmware downloaded, registered, CAPF enrolled) by having ACS put it in a limited access VLAN. Once it has generated it's LSC you can then have ACS move it to "normal" voice VLAN.

Hi,j.schulenberg ,

Thanks for your reply.

Do you mean that We can not use BAT or any other method to config the 802.1x code for phones

No for at least two reasons:

1) There is no where on the device configuration to enter 802.1x credentials, only to enable/disable it.

2) How would the phone get this information from the TFTP server if it can't get on the network in the first place?

Hi Jason,

This is exactly what we are trying to do as well. Would you happen to know of any documents that goes through that procedure that you mentioned? Basically, we want to use ACS 5.x to authenticate phone certs to allow it onto the voice vlan.

regards,

johnny

Anyone figure out how to do this?  I'd like to use the MIC on each phone to validate agains the CommonName field of the certificate (which should be CP-{model #}-{MAC address}) via EAP-TLS.  I'm using a 3rd party RADIUS server (radiator).  I have it setup but keep getting certificate errors.  Should RADIUS be sending back a certificate to the phone?  I thought I could just validate the CommonName field of the MIC cert that the phone sends to RADIUS but it looks like I have to have a server side certificate installed (I do have the Cisco crca2048.crt and cmca.crt CA's installed in radiator).

--greg

Hi Greg,

In my research, I came across this document that explains in pretty good detail the requirements for enabling 802.1x for phones using ACS.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6586/ps6638/config_guide_c17-605524.html

regards,

johnny

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: