Unequal cost outbound load sharing with BGP

Unanswered Question
Oct 27th, 2009
User Badges:

Hi,

I have a configuration that I'm desperately hoping that somebody can help me with.

I have a very large managed WAN from a telco where BGP is used as the sole routing algorithm. At the moment all sites have 2x connections a 10Mb/s primary link and a 2Mb/s backup link. There is currently no load sharing but I am being asked to make use of this 2Mb/s link to take the strain off the 10Mb/s link.

On each site we have a voice and a data VLAN. The voice traffic is about 1Mb/s and so would fit nicely on the 2Mb/s link.

Now I know that there are various options open to us to ensure that all inbound VOIP traffic is received on the 2Mb/s link, we are currently thinking of using MED to make the 2Mb/s link preferred for Voip.

My puzzle is how can I ensure that ALL outbound Voip traffic uses the 2Mb/s link. For various reasons the destination of VOIP traffic could be almost any IP address and so I am not able to use MED in a similar manner.

What I basically have to do here is to choose the outbound route based on the source subnet, rather than the destination, to ensure that all VOIP uses the 2Mb/s link and all data 10Mb/s link.

By doing this I will ensure that the traffic is completely symmetric.

Could somebody tell me what my options are for this kind of routing and point me to some links please?

Thanks.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Giuseppe Larosa Tue, 10/27/2009 - 07:42
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Hello James,

>> What I basically have to do here is to choose the outbound route based on the source subnet, rather than the destination, to ensure that all VOIP uses the 2Mb/s link and all data 10Mb/s link.

BGP is not enough you need to use PBR to be able to perform source based routing.

PBR uses route-maps that invoke ACLs to define traffic to be diverted

see

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/52sg/configuration/guide/pbroute.html

VoIP traffic could be confined to specific subnets for on-net calls.

The question are the off-net calls when the RTP stream from the IP Phone has to go to a voice gateway.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

hamiltonjames17 Tue, 10/27/2009 - 09:04
User Badges:

Thanks Guiseppe,

I didn't mention PBR in my first post as I didn't want to lead any responses. Thank you for confirming my suspicions but unfortunately I've a feeling that there will be a reluctance to implement PBR.

I guess we could do something without PBR for on-net calls (and perhaps even the stream to the voice gateway) using the destination. As long as the VOIP VLANs are consistently addressed e,g, 10.x.2.y where x is a site and the third octet indicates voip we could perhaps setup a local preference for these subnets so that the router prefer the route advertised over the 2Mb/s link.

A quick follow on question, how much of a problem do you think asymetric voip traffic might be?

i.e. it would be simply for voip to always come in on the 2Mb/s and it would be easy enough to configure it so that on the outbound roughly half of it would route down the 10Mb/s and half down the 2Mb/s. I think that this might be okay if both links were 10Mb/s but I'm quite nervous with the big difference in bandwidth. We could end up with a voip call leaving site A on the 2Mb/s link, coming into site B on the 2Mb/s link, then leaving on the 10Mb/s link at B and back into A on its 2Mb/s link.

This sounds like a it might create problems. Would you agree?

Giuseppe Larosa Tue, 10/27/2009 - 09:34
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Hello James,

depending on your address plan there is still one dimension to use:

prefix length:

if you are able to advertise more specific paths only on the 2 Mbps mesh of links: (example /24)

and to advertise less specific routes (example /23) on the 10 Mbps links you should be fine without PBR for on-net calls.

The same idea could be used for voice gateways ip addresses you could also advertise some specific /32 host routes in BGP only on the 2Mbps links sessions.

This requires some effort but it can be done.

you will need to use IP prefix-lists invoked in a route-map to be able to send /24 on one session and /23 on the other session.

Also, the ability to confine VoIP traffic on one type of link is important for the QoS aspects.

However, if one 2 Mbps link fails you need to provide routing failover over the 10 Mbps link (so the /23 prefix to be sent) and you need to provide resources for Voip to be carried inside an LLQ on the 10 Mbps link.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Actions

This Discussion