Certification path to CCIE Security

Answered Question

Hello, I have several years experience, primarily with PIX/ASA and VPNs. Unfortunately, I allowed my CCNP to lapse. Given today's economy, I will have all the time I need next year to pursue CCIE Security. Should I pursue the path of CCNA, CCNA Security, CCSP, CCIE written, and then the lab, or would it be more efficient to begin immediately with studies for the CCIE written?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Brandon Buffin about 7 years 1 month ago

In my mind, it depends on several factors:

1. Level of knowledge/experience - There are no prerequisites for the CCIE. If you're very comfortable with the concepts and technologies covered on the CCIE written, go for it. However, many people find that taking the path through the associate and professional level certifications fills in gaps that they weren't aware of.

2. Your need for periodic rewards - The journey to CCIE can be long. Some people have the commitment to go directly to CCIE while others like to see progress along the way (i.e., other certifications).

3. Applicability of the associate/professional level certifications - Will the other certifications help you in your current position (promotions, raises, partner requirements) or help you with your marketability until you obtain CCIE?

Hope this helps.

Brandon

Overall Rating: 4.5 (2 ratings)
Correct Answer
Brandon Buffin Tue, 10/27/2009 - 12:39

In my mind, it depends on several factors:

1. Level of knowledge/experience - There are no prerequisites for the CCIE. If you're very comfortable with the concepts and technologies covered on the CCIE written, go for it. However, many people find that taking the path through the associate and professional level certifications fills in gaps that they weren't aware of.

2. Your need for periodic rewards - The journey to CCIE can be long. Some people have the commitment to go directly to CCIE while others like to see progress along the way (i.e., other certifications).

3. Applicability of the associate/professional level certifications - Will the other certifications help you in your current position (promotions, raises, partner requirements) or help you with your marketability until you obtain CCIE?

Hope this helps.

Brandon

srue Mon, 11/09/2009 - 07:41

you should go through the CCNP track prior to pursuing CCIE-S or have CCNP level knowledge. There is both general routing and switching on the ccie security track.

atlewis9777 Mon, 11/09/2009 - 09:26

I would base it on your experience and how comfortable you are with it. I would probably suggest to start studying for the ccie written exam and take it from there based on how comfortable you feel.

Actions

This Discussion