cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1252 both radios installed w/one radio enabled @ full N speed on 802.2af po

jonathan_gallo
Level 1
Level 1

"1252 both radios installed w/one radio enabled @ full N speed on 802.2af power"

Are there any special instructions to make this work as described in the documentation for the latest SW Version 12.4(21a)JA1?

"Support for 802.11n Performance on 1250 Series Access Points with Standard 802.3af PoE"

The Cisco Aironet 1250 Series requires 20W of power for optimum performance of 802.11n on both the 2.4- and 5-GHz bands. This feature allows you to configure one radio to operate using 802.3af. This allows full functionality under 802.3af on one radio while the other radio is disabled. When you eventually upgrade to a powering solution that provides 20W of power to the access point, you can configure the second radio so that both radios are fully functional with 2x3 multiple input multiple output (MIMO) technology.

7 Replies 7

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

All you have to do is administratively shut down one of the radios (shutdown command), save the config, and reboot the AP.

That is what I have done to this point; the max MCS value I can achieve is 7 when plugged in to 802.3af power when I go to the injector I get a value of 15 I am running the 5GHz radio w/2.4 administratively shutdown regardless what windows see it as (300mg) airmagnet (135mg). Now when I remove the radio from the AP and run it on 802.3af power I will get my MCS value of 15. This is what leads me to bleave that there are some other settings that need to be modified in order to achieve MCS value of 15 without removing the unused radio. Begging the question how are we suppose to successfully configure this to work as described in the release notes?

My understanding is that you must physically remove one of the radios in order to get full powered performance out of the desired radio (your experience seems to confirm that).

With the newest code you don't have to physically remove the radio. I've set this up in my lab and was able to get a full 300Mbps connection with 802.3af power and both radios installed, one is disabled. To get the full rates make sure you have channel bonding and the guard interval set appropriately.

Did you get full radio power (regardless of the speed)?

Yes you will get full power. You won't be able to get 300Mbps without full power.

I was thinking about xmit power. You could still get 300Mbps at lower xmit power, just not with the same range.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card