cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Internet redundancy across the wan

ronshuster
Level 1
Level 1

We have multiple sites all inter-connected with a private WAN which we control the routing. Basically we redistribute all internal networks to the WAN using EIGRP.

We are now looking to add another layer of redundancy for Internet access. In other words, if one of the sites looses Internet for whatever reason (firewall issue, ISP issue, or whatever the case is), then we are looking to traverse to the Internet from another site across the WAN.

The current EIGRP setup on the WAN facing device is at the primary site is :

router eigrp 100

redistribute connected

redistribute static

network 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255

network 192.168.2.0 0.0.0.255

network 192.168.3.0 0.0.0.255

no auto-summary

I am thinking of adding the following line:

network 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

which should (in theory) redistribute the default route to the WAN which is the Internet access. So if any other site looses the Internet, EIGRP should route this traffic to the primary site and off to the Internet.

Does that make any sense?

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Ron,

what is important is that the EIGRP default route is not preferred by other sites until they loose their own internet connectivity.

if you are able to do this the EIGRP default route will act as a backup.

I would use ip default network to generate the default route into EIGRP domain.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

I agree, the default route redistribution should only kick in if the local default route gets lost.

The other problem I have is that the local core switches have a static default route to its own Internet connection, given this, would the traffic get redirected to the WAN if the local Internet access is lost (just because the local Internet connection is statically defined, unless there is a way to define a default route to the www using EIGRP??)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: