cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSS Box-to-Box software upgrade

gbowling1
Level 1
Level 1

I'm getting ready to upgrade two CSS's in box-to-box redundancy mode.

The upgrade is simple enough, but what are the best practices for two boxes in box-to-box?

I suppose I can copy the software up to the master box. Then force the standby box to be master and copy up the software to the standby.

Perform the upgrade/reboot on the standby. Then once the standby is again operational, do the master.

Seems cumbersome. Any suggestions?

2 Replies 2

jason.espino
Level 1
Level 1

I would suggest upgrading and rebooting the secondary CSS, then do the primary.  However, I would suggest you verify the APP session status between the 2 CSS's BEFORE upgrading and rebooting the primary.  If you can ensure APP session communication between the load balancers you should be okay to perform the upgrade on the primary device.  In my opinion this is the better if the two options you have outlined.

- Jason 

Ok, how can I get the software ftp'd to the secondary without forcing it to be master?

In box-to-box the interfaces on the secondary don't work with the exception of the redundancy-protocol interface which is just a cable between the two boxes.

Seems like I have to force the secondary box to be master to get the software over there, then flip it back. After that I could do as you suggest.