cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

bandwith considerations w/router-on-a-stick vs L3 switches

dgalati000
Level 1
Level 1

I need to determine if I should go with a (new) L2 switch and mult VLANS and use router-on-a-stick for intervlan routing. Its conducive to what the cust has at his multiple sites.

Or should I convince him to go with a L3 switch to the router instead ?

My concern is that its a mobile wireless site with two different radio signals (CDMA and GSM) operating in the same site...and I don't want a bottleneck on the trunk between the switch and the router when intervlan routing using the L2 switch. That is, one of the vlans consuming all the 10/100 trunk bandwidth would not work in the L2 switch env - or is it ?

Suggestions please ??

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Besides trunk bandwidth, most smaller routers don't offer high bandwidth routing (e.g. supporting even one gig). For LAN routing performance, a L3 switch is often a better choice.

Don't overlook the 8 or 12 port 3560s. Neither are very expensive.

justinmitchell
Level 4
Level 4

It comes down to how many hosts you have on the LAN and if there is a lot of inter-vlan routing required. Other considerations are budget and cost of actual equipment. Unless there is a lot intervlan routing, I wouldn't think you would saturate the trunk. Using GSM and CDMA for your WAN(?) connection you won't experience saturation on the trunk from people downloading across the WAN anyway.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card