perfectly the devices we want to manage (without the unwanted ones). But

the trouble I experience is that RME as well as CM refuses to import the

devices from the DCR by this 'Manage By Groups' feature. Anyone an idea

what the cause is of this problem? Regards

8 Replies 8

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When you say that the applications refuse to import the devices, are you getting an error trying to enable manage by groups, or are devices which are newly added to the desired groups not being managed automatically?

Disc01079
Level 1
Level 1

Devices which are newly added to the desired groups not being managed automatically. I do not receive any error when importing devices.

The thing is when I go to "RME > Admin > Device Mgmt > Device Management Settings" and I re-apply the already configured group the responding window shows that the new devices will be added after the rule change. But when I cancel that and go to "RME > Devices > Device Management > RME Devices" and expand the group list which should contain the to be managed devices no devices are listed. After I hit the "Add Devices"

button the devices are listed when expanding the group. It looks like that the grouplist not automatically is updated although the group has the attribute "Automatic".

Exactly how is this CS group configured? That is, what is the ruleset?

The ruleset I use is:

( Device.ManagementIpAddress range "145.68.255.[0-255]" OR Device.ManagementIpAddress range "10.1.252.[0-255]" ) EXCLUDE ( Device.HostName startswith "ibb" OR Device.HostName startswith "ibx" )

Okay, I got a chance to test this, and I cannot reproduce. The newly added device is managed automatically by RME, but it takes about two minutes before it shows up in RME's device selectors. If you have waited a sufficient amount of time for a new device and it still does not show up, post the EssentialsDM_Server.log after adding a new device which should match this group.

Thanks for investigating this. This morning (timestamps before 11:00) I deleted the DCR devices and reimported them (NNM bulkimport) again. I have waited a while but nothing shows up in RME. The log shows a null exception. At 11:09 I reapplied the group and 20 devices were imported by RME.

In testing I'm deleting and reimporting devices in CS as well as RME. Is there a memory effect known for RME devices managed in the past? For I've deleted RME devices manually during the testing proces. Regards.

Yep, that NullPointerException is causing the problem, but there is no context in the log to identify why it is happening. Even with debugging, there is no available context. You'll need to open a TAC service request so additional analysis can be done. Some debugging patches may be required.

Did some more testing, reinstalled LMS and the problem is persistent. But the problem only occurs when an empty group is added to the auto allocation settings.

The following situation works when starting with an empty DCR:

- Create a group

- Add group to auto allocation settings

- Import devices

- Reapply group to auto allocation settings

- Change group rules (optional)

- Import new devices

Thanks for all your help. I'll postpone the TAC case until I have a valid license and support for LMS 3.x. Cheers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: