Views
Helpful
Replies

Classification of traffic for multiple contexts on ASA

sidcracker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need some clarification on the classification criteria on multiple contexts. As mentioned in the documents there are 3 different methods which are

1. Unique MAC

2. Unique Interfaces

3. NAT Config

In Unique Interfaces, as per the document

"If only one context is associated with the ingress interface, the security appliance classifies the packet

into that context"

In which case would i need to use this topology?

With regards to Unique MAC Address

In which scenario would multiple contexts share a single Interface. Does ACE allocate MAC addresses to contexts?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Amadou TOURE
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

"In which case would i need to use this topology?"

For instance, If you have enough interfaces in your security appliance and/or don't have multiple context in the same network segment, you can choose to allocate different interfaces to each context, so no interface is shared.

"With regards to Unique MAC Address"

If you have for instance just one interface to connect all context to Internet.

with the command "mac-address auto" the security appliance assign unique MAC to each shared context interface

Hope this helps

Amadou TOURE
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

"In which case would i need to use this topology?"

For instance, If you have enough interfaces in your security appliance and/or don't have multiple context in the same network segment, you can choose to allocate different interfaces to each context, so no interface is shared.

"With regards to Unique MAC Address"

If you have for instance just one interface to connect all context to Internet.

with the command "mac-address auto" the security appliance assign unique MAC to each shared context interface

Hope this helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card