cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SMTP Users

robertu63
Level 1
Level 1

Have 2 users outside of my WAN that get e-mail using smtp.  Mail server is Microsoft Exchange and clients are using Microsoft Outlook.  When I forward port 23 to the Spam & Virus Blocker, the users are no longer able to connect to the mail server (smtp.domain.com).  What setting am I overlooking?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Think there was a little confusion on what I was trying to accomplish.  Needed for a user to get to his e-mail remotely using Microsoft Outlook, just as if you were checking your personal Comcast, AT&T, etc. account from home.

Short version is that the Cisco Spam & Virus Blocker does not support users outside of the network (lan, wan, etc.).  This leaves no way for a user working remotely to connect to the Mx server and login.  Was able to bypass the problem with the following solution.

Forward port 25 to Spam Blocker from the firewall

Forward alternate port 2525 to internal port 25 pointed to my mail server.

Works like a charm and the Spam blocker is still able to filter the e-mail before the remote user downloads it to his inbox.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

bethingt
Level 1
Level 1

Are you trying to telnet to the Blocker?

From the client side, just trying to login to the mail server.  When I forward port 23, Outlook returns a message saying it cannot connect to the mail server.  Users on the local network are unaffected.

When you say the are trying to login to the mail sever, are they trying to access a mail box or access the server interface itself? And are you trying to accomplish a telnet session to your mail server by forwarding port 23  to it?

They are trying to connect to a mailbox and send / receive messages.  Telnet does not enter the equation at all.

sreed
Level 1
Level 1

Are they connecting via a NATed IP Address or DNS Name?

Are you changing the Firewall to redirect the port 23 by changing the NATed Public IP Address?

If they are usiing the DNS then thier Outlook may be trying to connect to Virus Blocker instead of theExchange Server when you change the port forwarding so you will need to add a second DNS NATed Address or have them connect via the NATed IP Address directly.

If they are trying to connect externally to your mail server and you have all mail going to the blocker you will need to setup SMTP Authenication on the blocker. If you need assistance I would recommend calling Small Business support 866-606-1866.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Think there was a little confusion on what I was trying to accomplish.  Needed for a user to get to his e-mail remotely using Microsoft Outlook, just as if you were checking your personal Comcast, AT&T, etc. account from home.

Short version is that the Cisco Spam & Virus Blocker does not support users outside of the network (lan, wan, etc.).  This leaves no way for a user working remotely to connect to the Mx server and login.  Was able to bypass the problem with the following solution.

Forward port 25 to Spam Blocker from the firewall

Forward alternate port 2525 to internal port 25 pointed to my mail server.

Works like a charm and the Spam blocker is still able to filter the e-mail before the remote user downloads it to his inbox.

robertu63
Level 1
Level 1

I finnaly looked at my original post......kept saying I had forwarded port 23 instead of 25.  No wonder I had everyone confused

.  Thanks again for the help everyone.

No Problem Glad you were able to get everything working.

Brian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: