cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L3 switch "ip services" installation...

snickered
Level 1
Level 1

I'm in the market for a L3 switch. I'm interested in WS-C3560G-24TS-E or WS-C3560G-24TS-S. I won't need the features that "IP Services" offers for the time being however the time might come where I will need the functionality it provides over "IP Base". My question is, if I purchase a WS-C3560G-24TS-S will I be able to install the "IP Services" image at some point? I'm assuming I'll have to purchase a license but will the hardware I have work? Or when I purchase the license will I be provided with some sort of module I install to upgrade it to the WS-C3560G-24TS-E model? TIA.

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Steven,

You can upgrade your WS-C3560G-24TS-S with IP services image and like you mentioned, they only thing you have to pay for is the license. As for WS-C3560G-24TS-E, this is a different model and you can not upgrade form you current switch to this one.

Here is a data sheet for 3560 switches:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5528/product_data_sheet09186a00801f3d7d.html

HTH

Reza

Thanks. I see the "IP Services" software available on the Cisco site. So, when I purchase a license will they send me a new activation code of some sort? Or is this upgrade on the "honor system"?

For original 3560/3750 switches (i.e. non-E series), "honor system".

Hi.

Actually, if you order a WS-C3560G-24TS-E you already have a switch with IP Services image so there's no need for upgrading.

The naming convention with -S and -E comes from the times when the images were called Standard and Enhanced instead of as they are called now IP Base and IP Sevices.

HTH, Ingolf

Correct, although I hadn't considered the possible confusion of "-E" series with the part number for the installed image that Ingolf is addressing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: