cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving to sip gateway from H323

sienz.sienz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, I need some opinion on the changing that we plan to make.

We are trying to get a sip trunking and thinking to change our H323 gateways to pure sip gateways. Are there any things that we should be aware of that may affect the performance, feature or functionally of our Cisco phone system.

We are using CUCM 6.1.1.

Any inputs are appreciated.

Thanks,

sienz

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

More than a protocol change that is an architectural change.

Your router will go from simple pstn GWs, to SBC, what cisco calls CUBE.

There are multiple consideration to be done, including possible upgrade and licensing.

To be honest with you, unless SIP trunking gives you a major saving and features, I would stick with PSTN.

Hi Thank you for your response.

What kind of upgrade and licensing that you mentioned above?

And Can you elaborate what you want to stick with PSTN?

We have multiple site connected via MPLS. We thought that we want to save some money by getting the incoming calls from sip trunking in our main site rather to have PRI in every site and some other considerations

Your considerations are right, my recommendation would be to work with a reputable and experience partner, and switch gradually.

However there are many things to consider, one is emergency calls, and what happens if MPLS goes down.

The CM SRND is a good starting document, but again, if you are the end user, I recommend against you try that alone.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: