cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 Redundant SUP 720 3B

jcarey
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have a 6500 with a Sup 720 3B. I want to add a second Sup 720 3B for redundancy. I want to minimize the disruption the devices that are currently connected to this 6500. Is adding the redundant Sup as simple as just plugging it in and it will sync up with the current Sup. Will there be any disruption to my currently connected devices? (I already have the appropriate SSO redundancy statements on the 6500, ready to go.) Thanks for any advice you can offer.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jerry,

Good point. I have got some redundant sup-720-3C, lately and they all come with native IOS version, mostly SXI. So, I guess it depends on how old the sup is right?

Thanks,

Reza

View solution in original post

Okay, assuming the new SUP is native IOS also. It is better off to go into the new SUP to make sure it boot from the CF. The reason is the default boot variable might point to the sup-bootdisk instead of disk0, if this is the case, the box might be in standby cold, and you will have to manually copy and reload the standby/new SUP. The way I posted before is you will go into ROMMON and force it to boot from disk0, and you know what is on disk0 (matching the IOS version on you active one). This way, it will be in standby hot when it comes up.

If your new one is not in native mode, you will have to convert it. I can't think of a way to convert it without taking the box down since you don't have spare chassis.

Regards,

jerry

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jay,

Adding a second Sup-720 should not affect anything, but I would still open an outage window just in case. Just make sure the second Sup is exactly the same as the first one (hardware and software) and since you already have SSO redundancy ready, you should be good to go.

HTH

Reza

Reza,

Thanks for your response. I have another, what may be, elementary question. How do I know what software is on my new Sup? I do not have a spare 6500 in which I can install the Sup and determine the software version. There is a small yellow sticker on the module that states:

CATOS min sw req is 8.3.7

IOS min sw req is unchanged 12.2(17d)SXB1

If the software version of the new Sup is different than the existing Sup will the software be automatically copied from the existing Sup to the new Sup? Is this just a "plug and play" install?

Jay,

The IOS image will not get copied from master to slave. You have to do it manually to disk0: and slavedisk0:

If you don't have another box to see the ver, then put it in as a second sup and

Use the following command to copy a file to the bootflash: device on a redundant RP:

Router# copy source_device:source_filename slavebootflash:target_filename

Good luck

Reza

My only concern is if the new SUP720-3B in in hybrid mode. If it is native, and if you have spare CF card with the same image as your other SUP, then you can do the following step.

1. Insert the new SUP and connect the console cable into the new SUP

2. Do Ctrl+Break and go into ROMMON

3. Boot the new SUP from disk0:

4. Once it is up, you can copy image and you don't even need to reboot and the software is 100% compatible

Regards,

jerry

Jerry,

I am in native mode. Can I just do this:

I have a spare CF card and will make sure that it has the same image as my currently installed Sup Module.

I will insert the new, redundant Sup module. The redundant Sup module will come up in "Standby Hot" mode.

Then, I'm done. Is it this simple?

Thanks for your help.

Okay, assuming the new SUP is native IOS also. It is better off to go into the new SUP to make sure it boot from the CF. The reason is the default boot variable might point to the sup-bootdisk instead of disk0, if this is the case, the box might be in standby cold, and you will have to manually copy and reload the standby/new SUP. The way I posted before is you will go into ROMMON and force it to boot from disk0, and you know what is on disk0 (matching the IOS version on you active one). This way, it will be in standby hot when it comes up.

If your new one is not in native mode, you will have to convert it. I can't think of a way to convert it without taking the box down since you don't have spare chassis.

Regards,

jerry

Hi,

The software image will be downloaded unto the 2nd sup720s from the 1st. It should be plug and play. However, be prepared if something goes wrong.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/catos/8.x/configuration/guide/redund.html#wp1079325

regards,

Victor

Jerry,

Good point. I have got some redundant sup-720-3C, lately and they all come with native IOS version, mostly SXI. So, I guess it depends on how old the sup is right?

Thanks,

Reza

Yes, it is depend on what is on the original SUP and the new SUP. If it is on native, you should be fine with the sequence I've listed before.

Regards,

jerry

If it is native IOS, it will not download from active from the new one.

Regards,

jerry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card