cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Harrassing Phone Calls, What to do?

hauchinango
Level 3
Level 3

One of our locations is getting repeated calls from an odd number. The number is 81 XXX XXX XXXX. When you answer the call, it is a lot of heavy breathing, and some circus music.

Aside from the creepy factor, this is happening every couple of minutes so it is beginning to be a business disruption.

We are using an MGCP PRI at this site.

I have contacted telco, and so far no help. Any other ideas as to what we can do short of changing numbers?

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you really want to stop that and you know the exact number or set of numbers you'll need to change to H323 and then follow this config:

Reject Calls

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_tech_note09186a0080325e8e.shtml#reject

Call Blocking Configuration Examples

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_configuration_example09186a00803f818a.shtml#con11

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You may have to contact telco with the help of some legal authority to force a trace on the calls, because if caller is able to use an odd ANI, they can change it when found you're blocking and you'll be back at square one.

Yeah, I made a request with telco. I am also going to try some things with Idivert in the mean time to give the impression that the number has been disconnected.

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Set up a translation pattern that matches on calling number and translate the called number to the pilot point of a Unity mailbox.

Record a greeting stating that your call is being recorded and then allow them to record a message.

This will stop the caller connecting to your staff and provides an audit trail of calls that are made from this number.

They may well change their ANI but you can just create another translation pattern. Hopefully they will get bored when they do not get connected to a human.

I am not seeing how this will accomplish the calling number to be redirected. Can you shed some light on this?

hauchinango
Level 3
Level 3

I ended up doing this:

I set up an alternate greeting on the effected user. I imported a wav file of the telco recording " the number you are trying to reach has been disconnected"

I set the ring no answer timeout to 120 seconds, then instructed the user to hit the idivert button when they saw the number calling in. After a few times doing this, the calls stopped and I put her back to normal. Not perfect, but it worked.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: